A question about Google

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
porrier

A question about Google

Post by porrier » Mon May 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Hello!

I have Flagfox installed in Firefox. In about:config I see this:

extensions.flagfox.useractions;[["Geotool",1,"click","ctrl alt g"],"WolframAlpha",["Whois",1,"middleclick"],["Alexa",1],["SiteAdvisor",1],["WOT Scorecard",1,"doubleclick"],["Virus Scan",1],["Check Server Status",1],["Xmarks",1],"Google",["Google Translate",1],"Google Cache","Internet Archive","W3C Validator","W3C CSS Validator","Validate.nu","WAVE a11y Check",["SSL Server Test",1],"SSL Checker","Header Check","URL Parser",["Ping",1],"Traceroute","Netcraft","IntoDNS",["My Info",1],"Bit.ly URL",["Tiny URL",1],"is.gd URL",["Copy IP",1],"Copy Server Info","Wikipedia:Country","Wikipedia:Domain","Wikipedia:TLD","Page Metadata"]

Does Flagfox submit any data of the browser, IP, URL or other stuff to Google or is it interacting in any other way with Google?

Greetings

Andreas

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: A question about Google

Post by DaveG » Mon May 19, 2014 4:18 pm

porrier wrote:Does Flagfox submit any data of the browser, IP, URL or other stuff to Google or is it interacting in any other way with Google?
Nothing gets submitted to anyone anywhere unless you use one of the actions, in which case the minimum necessary information is sent to that provider. You can read the Flagfox privacy policy for more detail.
porrier wrote:I have Flagfox installed in Firefox. In about:config I see this:

extensions.flagfox.useractions;[["Geotool",1,"click","ctrl alt g"],"WolframAlpha",["Whois",1,"middleclick"],["Alexa",1],["SiteAdvisor",1],["WOT Scorecard",1,"doubleclick"],["Virus Scan",1],["Check Server Status",1],["Xmarks",1],"Google",["Google Translate",1],"Google Cache","Internet Archive","W3C Validator","W3C CSS Validator","Validate.nu","WAVE a11y Check",["SSL Server Test",1],"SSL Checker","Header Check","URL Parser",["Ping",1],"Traceroute","Netcraft","IntoDNS",["My Info",1],"Bit.ly URL",["Tiny URL",1],"is.gd URL",["Copy IP",1],"Copy Server Info","Wikipedia:Country","Wikipedia:Domain","Wikipedia:TLD","Page Metadata"]
This is the preference that stores your customizations of what actions are in your Flagfox menu (right-click on the flag icon). You can use the Flagfox options to change shortcuts, hide/show them from the menu, rearrange the menu, or add your own custom actions. This preference is where that is saved.

There are a few actions available that are run by Google, but as with all actions, they're sent nothing unless you decide to use them. For example, doing the Google Cache action sends the URL of the current page for Google Cache to load up its cache of. The simple "Google" action is just a quick search by current domain. The Google Translate action obviously loads up Google Translate for the current URL. (they still don't support HTTPS though, unfortunately)