Google Toolbar + Personas Plus 1.6 = stall/error [RESOLVED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Google Toolbar + Personas Plus 1.6 = stall/error [RESOLVED]

Post by DaveG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:17 am

The following is not a Flagfox bug, however having Flagfox installed at the same time will result in a Flagfox error in addition to the other problems that you'll get otherwise. Flagfox isn't causing this; it's collateral damage. You will have stalling and errors without Flagfox installed.

Installing Personas Plus 1.6 with Google Toolbar 7.1.20100723W will cause errors and stalls

If you have these two extension versions installed, your extension manager will break giving a stalled script popup about:
file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js:623
(or elsewhere, if you installed Firefox to a different place)

You will probably need to terminate the Firefox process using the task manager to close Firefox.

You may or may not get this stall on initial Firefox loading. It may take a restart of Firefox to get it to error on startup, or you may only get the error on going into the extensions manager. (Tools->Add-ons)

This has nothing to do with Flagfox. The above is reproducible without Flagfox installed.

If, however, you do happen to have Flagfox installed, on Firefox startup you will also get a Flagfox error containing "EXCEPTION THROWN: TypeError: ExtensionManager.getItemForID(id) is null". Flagfox is collateral damage here. It's erroring because the extension manager is broken by the two addon versions noted above. (both of whom have bugs) A litany of other extensions also break due to this mess. Read the rest of this thread for more info.

To fix this, use Firefox safe mode and uninstall Personas Plus 1.6. After restarting you can then install the newer version of Personas Plus 1.6.1+ which should not have this problem. You could alternatively disable/uninstall the Google Toolbar or just uninstall Personas Plus entirely.

There were also a handful of people that reported this same Flagfox error message before the Personas Plus update. Nobody has yet to reply back with more info in those topics, but it's likely another extension breaking something like this. If you don't have either of the extensions noted above then please troubleshoot your extensions, read the Flagfox troubleshooting sticky, and post a new thread if you need more help after that.
Last edited by DaveG on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:30 am, edited 7 times in total.

evilfantasy

Re: Google Toolbar + Personas Plus 1.6 = stalls and errors

Post by evilfantasy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:41 am

I had to stop FF in Task Manager as the script error would not allow itself to be completely closed and it took a while to get FF to close. I suppose because the script error was actually an open FF window? So if anyone can't get FF to close or re-launch (in any mode) try looking in Task Manager for FF and stop it running from there.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:53 am

Thanks. I've updated the post to mention that up front and link to Microsoft's support article about the task manager for any who need it.

marcusbacus

Post by marcusbacus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:16 am

I don't have Google Toolbar, but I have Personas although disabled since I tried it for the very first time (it's ugly and useless and probably already add something to the huge memory problems in FF) so with me it wasn't exactly a combination of both. Personas might have been updated anyway even disabled and the new update might cause crashes with other extensions than just the Google toolbar, but I don't have any toolbar-like extension to test, if the problem is specific to this kind of extensions. Maybe the bug can be just a combination of Personas + something else in other extensions as well, something common to some extensions of all kinds not just toolbars that in combination with Personas cause the crashes. In the FF beta 4 it was ok, same extensions as FF3 and no crashes so it's maybe also something related to some coding of FF3. I'll try enabling Personas and see if Flagfox crashes.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:00 pm

By the way, if you happen to have Forecastfox installed, it'll throw up its own error popup on startup just like Flagfox does. A sample from another user:

Code: Select all

'[JavaScript Error: "dir is null" {file: 
"file:///C:/Users/Scott/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/dcya5l3u.default/extensions/%7B0538E3E3-7E9B-4d49-8831-A227C80A7AD3%7D/components/nsForecastfox.js" 
line: 323}]' when calling method: [ffIDiskService::get]
You can get the above with Personas Plus 1.6 + Google Toolbar + Forecastfox, with or without Flagfox installed.

marcusbacus

Post by marcusbacus » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:09 am

Personas was uninstalled last night (as stated in another post), Flagfox re-enabled, it was working. Was. When I started FF3 again tonight, there it was: same error, same descriptions. And I don't have Google Toolbar (never had) and/or Personas this time. What to do now? Disable Flagfox until FF4 becomes official, sorry.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:33 am

marcusbacus: Something different but probably related may be going on with you. Please post a new thread here with whatever info you have, including the exact error message, anything that looks relevant in the Error Console (under the Tools menu), and the contents of your about:support page.

bartok79

Post by bartok79 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Traduction Google!!!!
Hello, I think it FF3.6.8 version, which poses problem, when I got this error message, I uninstalled version 3.6.8 and install an older version 3.0.19 I think and everything works perfectly. I reinstalled version 3.6.8 and I had the same problem again. I ask. :roll:

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:40 pm

bartok79 wrote:Hello, I think it FF3.6.8 version, which poses problem, when I got this error message, I uninstalled version 3.6.8 and install an older version 3.0.19 I think and everything works perfectly. I reinstalled version 3.6.8 and I had the same problem again. I ask. :roll:
Please don't use Firefox 3.0.x anymore. Mozilla has dropped support for it and no longer provides security, stability, or bug fix updates for it. Fixes for its problems are Firefox 3.5.x, 3.6.x, and eventually 4+. Firefox 3.0 is officially EOL (end-of-life) and should not be used. I will be dropping support for it in Flagfox 4.1 (whenever I get around to that).

The fact that 3.0.x avoids the problem somehow is interesting but not really a good route here. Please follow the instructions above and get rid of the problem: Personas Plus 1.6.

bartok79

Post by bartok79 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:34 pm

OK! Merci