a temporary stop (proxy issues) [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
NakoRuru1982

a temporary stop (proxy issues) [FIXED]

Post by NakoRuru1982 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:04 am

Hi All,

Each time when I visit http://enya.freehostia.com/index_pl.html, the firefox will stop for a while. But after I disable flagfox, the firefox run fine.

Thanks,

rleeden
Site Admin

Re: a temporary stop

Post by rleeden » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:11 pm

NakoRuru1982 wrote: Each time when I visit http://enya.freehostia.com/index_pl.html, the firefox will stop for a while. But after I disable flagfox, the firefox run fine.

Hi,

Strange. I've tried that site on three different computers and not seeing any problem. I don't see what's different about that site to any other site. :?

When you visit the site does Flagfox show a flag? And if so what is it and what does the tooltip say?

Thanks

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:22 am

Ditto; I don't get this either.

1) Make sure you're using the latest version, 3.0.3. If not, please update and try again.
2) Test to see if it's an extension conflict. Create a new Firefox profile and install Flagfox in it. (run: firefox -profilemanager) If the bug doesn't happen there, then it's likely to be an extension conflict. Please post a full list of your extensions so we can test. Better yet, try them one at a time until you find the culprit.
3) Post more info, namely your OS and Firefox version.

If somehow you can tell us what we need to do to reproduce this, I can look into it.

NakoRuru1982

Post by NakoRuru1982 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:34 am

rleeden wrote:
NakoRuru1982 wrote: Each time when I visit http://enya.freehostia.com/index_pl.html, the firefox will stop for a while. But after I disable flagfox, the firefox run fine.

Hi,

Strange. I've tried that site on three different computers and not seeing any problem. I don't see what's different about that site to any other site. :?

When you visit the site does Flagfox show a flag? And if so what is it and what does the tooltip say?

Thanks
Hi, the tooltip says "unknown site".

NakoRuru1982

Post by NakoRuru1982 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:43 am

I've just updated to lastest version 3.0.3, and disabled all add-ons except flagfox, the problem still happens. And later I disabled the flagfox, the problem seems disappeared

I tested the problem both on windows xp English and Chinese version. My firefox is 2.0.0.7.

My add-on is as bellow
Attachments
untitled.PNG
my add-ons
untitled.PNG (44.16 KiB) Viewed 15641 times

NakoRuru1982

Post by NakoRuru1982 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:51 am

BTW, I wonder whether this link or page has been blocked by GFW in China.

Anyway, I hate it.

But even if I use FoxyProxy(a proxy add on), the tooltip is still "Unknown host", I guess the flagfox had better get the host flag though proxy.

Thanks,

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:41 am

If one way or another, you're hidden behind a proxy, Flagfox just can't work. It needs DNS to be able to lookup the IP of the site in question, and Proxies prevent that. For an different issue, I was just doing a test, and being fully proxied is a no-go. (routers, NATs, and firewalls should all be fine, though) If you're getting a hang, it's because Flagfox is attempting to do a DNS lookup, stalling, and failing. Normally it just hits the cache and gets the IP right away, seeing as you're already at the site and know where it is, however this isn't the case when using a proxy.

NakoRuru1982

Post by NakoRuru1982 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:22 am

Thanks.

Now I'm sure that the site is blocked by GFW, since I just pinged the host, I get no imformation.

I can visit that page because I use TOR instead of a normal proxy. If I use a normal proxy or don't use a proxy, I cannot.

But it is really strange that flagfox cannot lookup DNS with proxy. So can the flagfox create a thread when it looks up DNS?

I just give you some suggestions or ideas.

Thanks,

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:35 am

With a proxy, you send the URL request to the proxy (or TOR) and then it does the lookup and gets the page, then sends it back to you. You don't do the DNS lookup in this case, the proxy server does. As far as I know, there's no real way to do an arbitrary DNS lookup over a proxy like this, or at least not using FIrefox's standard methods. Additionally, if you are using a proxy over normal Internet access, then Flagfox's DNS request won't hit the cache, or fail, but rather will try to do a new request not over the proxy, using your normal access. (which is probably not wanted)

Simply put, proxies and Flagfox aren't compatible.

If someone can find some magic way to get around this, be my guest, but at this moment I don't see how. :/

I'm looking into ways to detect this issue, and at least not stall things up when this happens. I don't want to just put the DNS lookup in a separate thread, as it's basically bypassing your proxy/TOR with that lookup attempt, which is bad.

Edited to add:
I've posted a version 3.0.4 to AMO. It now detects proxies and will disable itself in that instance. Theoretically, there's a way to send a DNS request over a SOCKS proxy, however I tried it and it doesn't seem to work. I'll see if I can look into that more deeply at some point, but this should fix the stalling on proxied pages for now.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:26 am

DaveG wrote: I've posted a version 3.0.4 to AMO. It now detects proxies and will disable itself in that instance.
...I see there's a long discussion on the proxy issue here already. I posted a note on AMO before seeing this forum.

My company uses a proxy but flagfox has never complained. It does now with 3.0.4 as it's disabled as it sees a proxy :( . Can you add an option for the proxy detection? I've downed to 3.0.3 for the moment. Thanks.