How to disable annoying notification about me using an older version? (I plan to stay on Flagfox 5.2.3)

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
TERRABYTEONE

Re: How to disable annoying notification about me using an older version? (I plan to stay on Flagfox 5.2.3)

Post by TERRABYTEONE » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am

how do you install the file flagfox5.2.11-esr.xpi

:doh: :geek:

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: How to disable annoying notification about me using an older version? (I plan to stay on Flagfox 5.2.3)

Post by DaveG » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:04 am

TERRABYTEONE wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:50 am
how do you install the file flagfox5.2.11-esr.xpi
  1. Download the last Flagfox 5.2.x ESR version from the official page: https://flagfox.wordpress.com/download#5.2
  2. Override the requirement for only Mozilla signed addons (as they no longer allow these versions posted to AMO) by following the instructions on that download page. (Firefox 52 ESR required)
  3. Install your dowloaded installer file (XPI) via the Firefox Addon Manager: Go to Firefox menu -> Add-ons -> Gear menu (next to search field) -> "Install addon from file..." (autoupdates are no longer supported for old addons, but if you upgrade to Firefox 57 or 60+, it can be updated to current versions)

click-click

Post by click-click » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:15 pm

avada wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 am

It seems more like it appears erroneously, then disappears on its own. I checked the config file and it has "{"warn.tld":"disabled","warn.stale":"disabled"}" in it. Maybe I could work around it via CSS if I could get a selector to the Flagfox specific notification.

(I forgot to mention, but I'm on Waterfrox 56.0.3)
Same here. comes and goes. I checked the storage.js file and also have

Code: Select all

{"warn.tld":"disabled","warn.stale":"disabled"}

Right now Flagfox is quiet. When the pop-ups return, I'll check the storage.js to see if something changed. The last resort will be
to edit the addon package previously mentioned in this thread.

@DaveG
Is there any way to just replace the Flagfox DB with a newer one?
Last edited by click-click on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

click-click

Post by click-click » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:40 pm

avada wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

Well... Since I couldn't figure out a CSS to to hide the warning I resorted to removing the warning function from flagfox.jsm. I can only do this because I can enable unsigned extensions, but at least it works.
BTW, did you just change the if (ipdb.daysOld > 90) statement to something else like if (ipdb.daysOld = 0)?

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:06 am

Sorry for the late reply to the newer posts here. Buried in my inbox and I haven't been wading through my email enough.

First and foremost, I don't know what is broken with your browser that is causing it to wipe addon settings and causing this message to show after you've already disabled it. Could be a lot of things, but I don't really have control over that. I've long provided the simple checkbox to disable this message and that should be enough. I can't really troubleshoot a 2 year old addon version in a fork of a discontinued browser that could be doing weird things I don't know about.

As to why this is an issue, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to upgrade your browser eventually. Firefox 52 ESR is end-of-life and nothing which continues to be based on it is legitimate, including Waterfox. Mozilla can barely handle security and stability updates in a current ESR; I have zero faith a minor fork can backport everything needed to maintain security for an obsolete codebase.

I probably shouldn't answer the technical questions here, but I will:
click-click wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:40 pm
BTW, did you just change the if (ipdb.daysOld > 90) statement to something else like if (ipdb.daysOld = 0)?
Just "if (false)" should be more than fine. The use of a single equals is assignment in JS; double or triple is needed for comparison.
click-click wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:15 pm
@DaveG
Is there any way to just replace the Flagfox DB with a newer one?
If you already have Flagfox 5.2.11 (last ESR version), then yeah, you should be able to just dump in the newer files and everything other than Geotool will work. I backported the minor changes to the IPDB manifest format in 5.2.7. Geotool will reject you when it sees an invalid HMAC, but Geotool should already be rejecting such an old Flagfox version anyway. If you want to use Geotool, either use the current version of Flagfox or simply use Geotool by itself, not automatically called from Flagfox (CAPTCHAs may apply to throttle traffic; all of this is necessary to prevent abuse from killing the server, yet again).

Note that I'm only telling you what is technically possible here, for you own personal hackery. Uploading a modified version of Flagfox to be hosted for others is a violation of the Flagfox license. (not that it can even be run in any current version of Firefox, anyway, as Mozilla got rid of the ability to disable addon signing verification) There's already enough garbage scraper sites out there hosting official versions on dubious pages that show up in Google searches for Flagfox, and I'd really appreciate it if people didn't add to the mess with unofficial versions. Whatever you do on your own computer is your own decision, though, again, I'd prefer you accept that trying to keep things on life-support here is not a good idea.

Bottom line: We're talking about an old version of an addon that I should have completely ended support for in 2017, provided an extra year of extended support updates to, and is now end-of-life 2 years later. The codebase it depends on has been, itself, end-of-life since last year as well. This has to end at some point, which is one way or another long past due.

zoom314

Post by zoom314 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:06 pm

I run Waterfox 56.2.11 64 bit, I'm using v6.07 of Flagfox, it says I should upgrade to the latest version of Flagfox which does not support Waterfox, if you really want Me to upgrade, how about supporting Waterfox 56.2.11?

As Waterfox is just as secure as that other fox and Waterfox has had at least 6 million downloads too...

JUNOTTO

Post by JUNOTTO » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:15 am

Decent, need to accomplish something like this with mine.

zoom314

Post by zoom314 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:11 pm

I tried the about:config tricks mentioned above, under Waterfox 56.2.11 64bit they do nothing, the 1st is Boolean, the other's String.

I still get the annoying notification about Flagfox 6.07 being too OLD and that I should load the latest, of course the latest doesn't support Waterfox.

Yes I restarted My browser, no change.

Waterfox is not Firefox, even the symbol is different since Mozilla told the author to change the icon and Waterfox is just as secure as Firefox.

Ascar

Post by Ascar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:28 am

As a persistent/stupid man I kept checking off the box "Don't show this message again" for about a year, may be longer.

Once I finished reading this thread I did some googling and I believe the easiest way to fix this issue is by disabling Flagfox (I forgot to mention that I am a Waterfox uses and Firefox Quantum is absolutely a "no-go" for me) and installing Andy Portmen's 'Country Flags and IP Whois' extension - it does everything Flagfox does and it works in Waterfox without a hitch - https://add0n.com/country-flags.html

He also has another extension called Server IP - https://add0n.com/country-flags.html?from=server-ip - and it shows both flag and IP address in a small iFrame.

There are more:
Countr Flag + https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... flag-plus/
IP to Country Flag & My IP - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ntry-flag/

Thank you Dave for creating Flagfox - I enjoyed using it for many years.