How to disable annoying notification about me using an older version? (I plan to stay on Flagfox 5.2.3)

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
avada

How to disable annoying notification about me using an older version? (I plan to stay on Flagfox 5.2.3)

Post by avada » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 am

Hi!

The notification tends to disappear after/during the session fully loads. (But it doesn't make it less annoying) But even if I am fast enough and click the checkbox and close it at the next startup the notification appears. I don't want to upgrade to the newer webextension version for the time being.

Contrary to the FAQ there are no about:config settings that have "flagfox" in it. Zero results, so I can't even guess what to set.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: How to disable annoying notification about me using an older version? (I plan to stay on Flagfox 5.2.3)

Post by DaveG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm

What do you mean by "fast enough"? If you've got something hiding it prematurely, then just try loading up Firefox without restoring a session. The checkbox should only need to be checked once to never see it again. If that's not working, you may have something installed that's breaking the ability to save prefs properly.

As to about:config, where does it say in the Flagfox FAQ that 5.2.x still saves prefs in a way that are accessible there? I thought I updated all of that. See:
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/faq/#prefslocation
(searching for "about:config" only finds that section)

avada

Re: How to disable annoying notification about me using an older version? (I plan to stay on Flagfox 5.2.3)

Post by avada » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 am

DaveG wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm
As to about:config, where does it say in the Flagfox FAQ that 5.2.x still saves prefs in a way that are accessible there? I thought I updated all of that. See:
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/faq/#prefslocation
(searching for "about:config" only finds that section)
Ooops. I only searched for about:config and didn't notice the answer was split in two by version.
DaveG wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm
What do you mean by "fast enough"? If you've got something hiding it prematurely, then just try loading up Firefox without restoring a session. The checkbox should only need to be checked once to never see it again. If that's not working, you may have something installed that's breaking the ability to save prefs properly.
It seems more like it appears erroneously, then disappears on its own. I checked the config file and it has "{"warn.tld":"disabled","warn.stale":"disabled"}" in it. Maybe I could work around it via CSS if I could get a selector to the Flagfox specific notification.

(I forgot to mention, but I'm on Waterfrox 56.0.3)

avada

Post by avada » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am

So I stooped to faking the version number to an extremely high one. Let's see if it works.
(Though it's not a good sign that I got the notification when I installed it...)

avada

Post by avada » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 am

avada wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am
So I stooped to faking the version number to an extremely high one. Let's see if it works.
(Though it's not a good sign that I got the notification when I installed it...)
I didn't work. So annyoing...

avada

Post by avada » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm

avada wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 am
avada wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 am
I didn't work. So annyoing...
Well... Since I couldn't figure out a CSS to to hide the warning I resorted to removing the warning function from flagfox.jsm. I can only do this because I can enable unsigned extensions, but at least it works.

TERRABYTEONE

Post by TERRABYTEONE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:38 pm

How did you do this

im using last version for firefox 74.04 64bit (latest version has problems with battlefield 4 etc.. old version works

typ i update browser 1 a year, only updating java +flash player offen etc..

i get the out of update on flagfox. and disabling warnings in firefox fails to stop this.

only other option is to stop using flagfox.

avada

Post by avada » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 am

You need to edit the addon package. But you need to allow unsigned addons via mozilla.cfg, if it's still possible on 74. I'm on Waterfox 56.

Edit:
Hold on. What is Firefox firefox 74.04? There's no such thing yet.
Last edited by avada on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:51 pm

Just install Flagfox 5.2.11, which has a newer IP database. I continued to post monthly updates for Flagfox 5.2.x until the end of Firefox 52 ESR support, however they aren't allowed on Mozilla's Addons site, unfortunately. Flagfox 5.2.11 should be fine until the end of the year.

TERRABYTEONE

Post by TERRABYTEONE » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 am

opps i i have version 57.0.4

in not sure how to do that?

the flagfox out of date popup is very very ????

only just starting learning about about:config thing.

:D :D :D :D

im also recovering from quad heart bypass operation, (still got pain, and rebuilding my strength again)
(got lots time of work, till i can look after myself, and walk again without walker.)