Flagfox 6.0 Beta

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
rleeden
Site Admin

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta 3

Post by rleeden » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:23 am

DaveG wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm
I want the info to all be shown together, in the proper context. It's always been in there and I don't intend to remove it. Also, if you navigate to an internationalized domain name, the address bar will show the address in whatever native text is needed for the language, and the Flagfox tooltip will show the official ASCII version of the domain name in punycode, so they're not always shown the same. (though, it looks like that only works in Firefox 57+) I need to find some more examples, but you can test that on this site for the ".рф" registrar (which apparently our current forum software can't tell is a URL): [url]http://кто.рф/eng/[/url]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode
An interesting example of where this could be useful in regards to punycode, is this proof of concept site

https://www.аррӏе.com/

(Again the forum software is unable to turn this into a proper URL, but cut & paste it. The URL is not what you think .... but it is safe!).

Read the accompying blog post provided on that link if interested in punycode URLs and the dangers they could present.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta

Post by DaveG » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 am

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:39 am

And... drumroll...
Flagfox 6.0.0 has been released! :)
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/2017/12/3 ... 7-support/

And it was live, and available for updates, almost instantly. :shock: It wasn't a fast human this time; the approval notification said "Reviewer: Mozilla", so apparently they're auto-approving at least some population of addons' updates, now. One of their side-goals for the WebExtension rollout was to make it easier to do automatic addon validaton with fewer humans having to stare at code. Interesting tidbit: running the AMO addon validator on this release spits out 9 messages complaining about "Violation of Mozilla conditions of use. Warning: Words found that violate the Mozilla conditions of use." in 9 out of the 37 supported language's country name translation lists (same files that had no complaints before). Taboo word filters are always going to fail in the real world, especially because languages exist other than English. (no, I don't know what words it thought it was whining about, and I don't care; the messages were only "notice"-level, not even officially warnings, so they know they're not 100% reliable)

secsecsec

Post by secsecsec » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:46 am

Awesome! So glad to see Flagfox back - well done, and thanks for all your hard work on this.

One small question - is it possible to line up the the columns in the tooltip like it was in version 5? I find it slightly harder to see all the information with a quick glance. A minor issue though, still great to see one of my favorite extensions back.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:20 pm

secsecsec wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:46 am
Awesome! So glad to see Flagfox back - well done, and thanks for all your hard work on this.
Thanks. :)
secsecsec wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:46 am
One small question - is it possible to line up the the columns in the tooltip like it was in version 5? I find it slightly harder to see all the information with a quick glance. A minor issue though, still great to see one of my favorite extensions back.
Grumble grumble grumble... I spent an hour or so fiddling with tabs and trying to write an algorithm to manually pad with spaces and tabs and I even tried various additional Unicode spaces with various widths and combinations and.... no. It's not a monospace font, so characters vary in width, and different localizations vary in length, for that matter. The locations the tabs jump to are dependent on width, not characters, and there's not really a way to get/calculate that. Long story short: it's a mess, the WebExt API for tooltips is primitive and only accepts a string, so no, this is the best it's going to be unless I successfully convince Mozilla to make this API not crap. Sorry, I tried to hack around it, but there's just nothing practical I can do on my end. :(

walle

Post by walle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 am

Is there a way to sync action settings between devices/browsers? Or can I somehow export/import the settings my self? Before this version I could in about:config search for “extensions.flagfox.useractions” and copy/paste the settings.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:34 pm

walle wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:51 am
Is there a way to sync action settings between devices/browsers? Or can I somehow export/import the settings my self? Before this version I could in about:config search for “extensions.flagfox.useractions” and copy/paste the settings.
Thanks for asking this. I'm in the process of updating the Flagfox FAQ, and have just added a section for this:
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/faq/#prefslocation

Getting Flagfox working with Firefox sync would be far less problematic than it was with prior sync versions, but I chose not to dump things in there for the new version, as I think I'll need to write some sort of GUI/options to allow people to decide how to use it without screwing up their stuff. Sync support is on the perpetual todo list, and I may actually get around to doing it, one of these days...

For now, just copy the storage.js file as described in the FAQ. I think I will, however, shortly add the ability to at least import/merge from this file directly using the Flagfox options page. So, I'll add that on my (apparently never-ending) todo list, but higher up, as that's simpler and harder to mess up. ;)

fireattack

Post by fireattack » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:26 am

Is there anyway to disable context menu item (when you right click on the web page)?
The icon in the address bar is enough for me.

Thanks!

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 am

fireattack wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:26 am
Is there anyway to disable context menu item (when you right click on the web page)?
The icon in the address bar is enough for me.
Not yet, though it's on my todo list, as others have also requested this.