Flagfox 6.0 Beta

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Flagfox 6.0 Beta

Post by DaveG » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:52 am

Announcement post with changelog and known issues here.

Bug reports / feedback can be posted in a reply to this post or a common on the blog post. You can also email me or send me a tweet or whatever.
Last edited by DaveG on Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated for beta #2

brambles

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta 1

Post by brambles » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you so much for the update! I know it's been super annoying for you to deal with the webextention change-over, but I certainly appreciate it.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta 1

Post by DaveG » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:59 pm

brambles wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:33 pm
Thank you so much for the update!
You're welcome. :)
brambles wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:33 pm
[...] super annoying [...]
The phrase that comes to my mind is closer to "soul crushing"...

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta

Post by DaveG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:39 pm

The second beta version is now available:
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/2017/12/26/flagfox6b2/

Everyone already signed up for the Flagfox beta channel will receive the new version as an automatic update (unless you've disabled addon updates, of course).

ssobb

Post by ssobb » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 pm

I believe that you need to change the action of the left and right mouse buttons. In the new menu, there are additional Firefox items that can not be removed.
Please Dave, think about it.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:15 pm

ssobb wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 pm
I believe that you need to change the action of the left and right mouse buttons.
The WebExtension API does not allow handling anything other than normal clicks, so changing anything there is currently impossible.
ssobb wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:58 pm
In the new menu, there are additional Firefox items that can not be removed.
The WebExtension API does not allow changing any of the other Firefox items in that menu, so changing anything there is currently impossible. At least there, however, they realized how stupidly designed that is, and newer versions of Firefox clean it up quite a bit. (Nightly has the changes; I don't know which version exactly between release and there has them first)

As to the "More..." menu (sorry about the lack of localization), that's created by Flagfox for all menu items beyond the completely arbitrary limit of 6 that is imposed by the stupid WebExtension API. If you go into Flagfox's options and uncheck all but 5 actions, then it will go away and you'll just have those 5 plus the menu item to open the Flagfox options.

So, bottom line, I'm sorry, but Mozilla did some stupid crap here, and whilst I agree with you that it shouldn't be this way, I cannot change things on my end. :(

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta 2

Post by DaveG » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 pm

212eta wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:35 pm
v6.0 Beta 2
*Paste action(s) from clipboard* is Not working :!:
*Paste (Ctrl+V*) is Not working :!:
*Paste from the Main Menu* is Not working :!:
Are you sure you have an action template in the clipboard? Specifically, something with a "{something}" style placeholder in it. The menu item in the options page only enables for that (e.g. it only enables if it detects an action to paste). So long as you have even just a URL in your clipboard, ctrl+v should at least open the new action dialog with it.

If you're sure of the above, please post anything/everything in the Firefox browser error console (ctrl+shift+J) into a reply here after attempting to do these things, and I'll see if it says anything I can use.

Also, please post your Firefox version and operating system and its version, as well. (please don't say "latest"; find the actual Firefox version number in the about dialog, please)

ssobb

Post by ssobb » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 am

DaveG wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:15 pm
I believe that you need to change the action of the left and right mouse buttons
If the main menu is called when the left mouse button is clicked, then Firefox items are not visible.
Here's how to do in Wappalyzer:
or Whatruns:

I think that only when you call the main menu of the left mouse button you can return the old view of Flagfox.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 am

ssobb wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 am
I think that only when you call the main menu of the left mouse button you can return the old view of Flagfox.
The ability to quickly run actions on click/doubleclick/tripleclick is a fairly fundamental Flagfox feature, so I'm not going to get rid of that. (especially because the WebExt API also got rid of hotkeys and all middleclick hotclicks, as well) Having 5 useless Firefox items in there until Mozilla gets its act together and gets its fixes into the current release is fine. Again, Nightly only has two items and some separators; one item to hide the icon (leaving an entry in the "..." page action menu) and another to open the addon's page in the Addon Manager (which would be better served as the addon's options; maybe I can convince them to change that).

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta 2

Post by DaveG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:58 am

212eta wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:19 am
The Firefox browser error console (ctrl+shift+J) showed Nothing.
If you're running the Flagfox 6 beta, you'll at least have the startup info dump it currently outputs (I've got some debug stuff turned on for the beta). There definitely won't be completely nothing. If it's completely empty, make sure the stuff in the menus at its top is all enabled. Also, just in case it wasn't clear, what would be useful is stuff that shows immediately after attempting to open the Flagfox options page and paste the stuff in (seeing as the error console can be a din of junk from everywhere, easily drowning out old stuff).

I just tested copy/pasting your list into mine, and it works fine for me. Something is obviously different for you, so I need more info, as I of course would very much like to fix this. As I asked in my prior response, please tell me your exact Firefox version (via about Firefox) and your operating system and its version. Please tell me what language you have installed for Firefox, as well.