Movable Icon

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
orbisvicis

Movable Icon

Post by orbisvicis » Thu May 22, 2014 5:06 am

Some people may want to move the icon elsewhere, ie to reduce the flagsize or increase the url bar. However, since I also run pentadactyl (which replaces the url bar), I need a movable icon just to be able to use flagfox. Functionality similar to noscript, wherein the icon can be placed anywhere in firefox's UI, would be great.

orbisvicis

Re: Movable Icon

Post by orbisvicis » Wed May 28, 2014 10:47 pm

While it's a matter of taste, I find keyboard-modal interfaces more natural as well as reducing hand movement. Besides most apps I use provide vim-style keybindings, so having a unified input style is convenient. Also pentadactyl provides additional features only found in other plugins, such as unifed search/address bar.

In any case, I'm really curious if there is any traction to develop a movable iconl.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Movable Icon

Post by DaveG » Wed May 28, 2014 11:07 pm

I have no plans to add any icon position customization. (at least at the moment)

In general, I'm sorry to say that I can't really add support for every addon out there with only a few thousand users. The only addon I've special-cased is Tree Style Tab. (they provide an API to add tabs in a way that's ideal for it, and it's only one line) In terms of address bar replacement addons, however, I have seen a few that overhaul things completely and Flagfox does still work, actually. Hiding it completely is very much a rare case, though. (and hopefully anything that does hide it can show it quickly with a keyboard shortcut so Flagfox can be used still; if this isn't the case, I'd complain to the dev of that addon)

The Flagfox options do allow you to add keyboard shortcuts for everything, however. The options dialog also has some keyboard support, though it's probably not ideal (nor well documented). Suggestions are welcome as to how to make Flagfox more keyboard friendly, as I know that is a bit of a weak area in spots.