[REQ] Bind multiple actions on same icon click / hotkey

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
kulmegil

[REQ] Bind multiple actions on same icon click / hotkey

Post by kulmegil » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 am

For start I want to say I really LOVE this extension for both core (flag) and custom actions functionality and been using it for a long time.

The more I use it and more actions I added I started to fill this would be a good idea:

Often I find myself wanting yo perform multiple, similar actions. A good example is wanting to check unknown/suspicious site on multiple reputation services (WOT, SiteAdvisor) or perform SEO-stuff analyses using multiple tools, ect.

My proposition is simple - allow binding multiple actions for same "icon click" or hotkey.
Such hotkey / click would activate all actions assigned - open multiple related tabs, perform sequentially javascript: actions.

Since such behavior might be confusing to users multiple binding could be allowed after pref change.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: [REQ] Bind multiple actions on same icon click / hotkey

Post by DaveG » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21 am

One idea I had was to allow ctrl/shift modifiers to open entries you click in the menu in a background tab / new window, which I've implemented for Flagfox 5.0b1. If I can find some way to properly intercept the event and not close the menu when holding ctrl, that would allow you to just ctrl+click a bunch in a row. Would be a nice trick, though I don't actually know how to properly handle the clicking event there to do this at the moment.

kulmegil

Post by kulmegil » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:26 pm

I think that would not replace the benefit of e.g. launching few actions with a single flag click but rather complement it.

Proably asking dev. of Stay-Open Menu (also my "core" extension) might be beneficial as it provides effect You want to achieve. At some point I was considered asking if S.O.M. could support Flagfox (but I forgot) ;)

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:43 am

kulmegil wrote:Proably asking dev. of Stay-Open Menu (also my "core" extension) might be beneficial as it provides effect You want to achieve.
Ah, thanks for this tip. I took a peek at that addon's source and a comment says that the mouseup event has to be used because the click and command events are too late to stop a menu from closing. I've got ctrl+click working to allow opening multiple actions in a row, and as a bonus I've got middle-click working to do the same thing as the event here properly has the button number.

Flagfox 5 will allow for opening multiple actions in a row easily. (will be in the 4th beta and later) Really simple to do once I knew which event I needed to use. :D

At this point, I don't really want to change the way bindings are done. I might consider it in some future other update, but for now I'd like to see how this new feature works for this use-case.