WHOIS CYBERABUSE.ORG [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
Angel Elf

WHOIS CYBERABUSE.ORG [FIXED]

Post by Angel Elf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Greetings;

I'm having a problem with the Whois function on the Cyberabuse.org web page. Previously when I did a right click on the Flag and selected the Whois icon, so that I can get the proper abuse email address, the IP address would go into the "Enter an IP or hostname" slot on the webpage and I would just hit the "OK" button. Now the IP is not doing into the hostname box, it remains blank. Here is the custom action code I'm using:

http://www.fr2.cyberabuse.org/whois/?pa ... {IPaddress}

Example:

If I click on the FlagFox cyberasbuse.org icon while in SpamCop.net a new tab opens with the following:

http://www.fr2.cyberabuse.org/whois/?pa ... 185.204.72

However the IP information isn't being inserted into the hostname slot like it used to.

Any help will be appreciated. Please advise.

Angel Elf

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: WHOIS CYBERABUSE.ORG

Post by DaveG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:02 pm

It looks like that site may have simply gotten rid of the URL-based API needed to do this and instead are only using a form submission.

Angel Elf

Post by Angel Elf » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Dave here is the HTML code for that Cyberabuse site.

form action="/whois/?page=whois_server" method="post">
<input type="text" name="IP" value="" maxlength="64">
<input type="hidden" name="OK" value="OK">

How can I insert the IP into the hostname box?

I tried this and it failed.:

http://www.fr2.cyberabuse.org/whois/?pa ... IPaddress}

The addresses went into the URL address but not the input box. There must be a way to overwrite or edit the HTML code via FlagFox.

Angel

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:39 pm

Flagfox is not designed to work with form fields. Sites generally do this to avoid letting people do lookups automatically. They probably changed it to the way it is because someone somewhere wrote a script to spam the server with automatic requests and it got overloaded. (we needed to take extraordinary measures with Geotool when we got hit with this very problem a few times, but have avoided ditching URL support entirely) Probably some lazy idiot who wrote a script somewhere ruined it for you, sorry.

Flagfox has support for custom JavaScript actions, however they have access to the current page the action is executed for not the destination page, and I don't see any way to deal with that at the moment because it is sandboxed for security.

I think what I would need to do is to create a new type of Flagfox action for form fields, with a new syntax and the code to handle it. I've thought of doing this before but it generally hasn't come up enough to bother with. It is now officially on my short list of todos for a next major version, whenever I actually get around to doing that. It would probably be relatively simple to do, though would take a bit of time to test.

In the meantime, use any one of the many other whois pages that work fine or use the Copy IP Flagfox action and paste it into the page. You can set Flagfox's Copy IP action to a keyboard shortcut if you want.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:45 pm

Now that I think about it, I might be able to add a method to the JavaScript action sandbox to let you get at the destination page...

This is the sort of thing I could do in a monthly update, so let me look into that.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:21 am

Well now, I implemented form field action support in Flagfox 5.0b1... but it doesn't work with this one. It works with Virus Total and Bit.ly (the ones I wrote it primarily for), but not this, because the fields don't have proper IDs. I'll look into supporting this too in a future beta version. :doh:

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:21 am

This site is now usable with a custom Flagfox form field action in Flagfox 5.0b2 or later:
CyberAbuse Whois
formfield:http://www.fr2.cyberabuse.org/whois/?page=whois_server|IP|{IPaddress}|OK
The final release of Flagfox 5.0 will be sometime in February.