v. 4.1 - where has the option to put flag into the statusbar

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
mikolajek

v. 4.1 - where has the option to put flag into the statusbar

Post by mikolajek » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 am

I've just updated to version 4.1 and my flag went back into my address bar. I'd rather have it in my status bar as I got used to look down to see the flag ;) Unfortunately I can't see the option to change the placement of the flag in the Options dialog. Is it gone? Or is it just hidden in order not to find it? ;) Any help appreciated.

rleeden
Site Admin

Re: v. 4.1 - where has the option to put flag into the statu

Post by rleeden » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:05 am

It's gone I'm afraid - see this Blog post for more details.

mikolajek

Post by mikolajek » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:07 am

Thank you for the clarification! I think I can live with that :) though it was pretty convenient to have the possibility to customize that. Maybe you'll back to that in the future...

Back mir ein Cookie

Post by Back mir ein Cookie » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:29 am

But nice would be it, if this status bar option for flagfox comes back ! the adressbar look overload/ to full if that icon there is in the adress bar...

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:04 am

I'm not going to be adding it back in the future. It was removed for a reason: Firefox 4.0 got rid of the status bar. (it'll be out soon, but no clue exactly when, though the final beta is already in the progress of being released) There's no point in having the option to move it to the status bar anymore if the status bar is gone, and I don't want to add full support as a toolbar button (addon bar or otherwise) because the flag icons are just too small. Besides, the location icon belongs in the location bar anyway. After the lack of status bar position options, all that would be left is the option to move it to the right side of the star instead of the left, which I think everyone can agree was quite useless, and the option to move it to the left of the address bar. With that one alternate position, I'd have to rewrite the options dialog just for that one rarely used option, and I'd much rather get rid of all of the dynamic positioning code that has been broken by other addons doing stupid things in the past. With one place, it's simpler, drops a source of user confusion (yes, some were confused at this), and makes the code less complicated. Besides, the left of address bar position also had the problem that it wasn't actually a fixed position. Go to mozilla.org, bugzilla.mozilla.org, and addons.mozilla.org, and each site's identity button (blue for SSL, green for EV) is a different size, thus moving the flag icon to the right a different amount if it's set to be next to it. With the flag on the right side, it's always in the same place and you never have to glance elsewhere to find it.

Firefox 4.0 isn't out yet, so for now if you for some strange reason desperately want the flag icon in the status bar, you can just use Flagfox 4.0.x for a little while longer. Nobody is stopping you. If it weren't for a bug in the way Mozilla Add-ons' site serves up updates, I'd actually continue to support it with updates along side Flagfox 4.1.x for a few months so Firefox 3.0.x users could still get updates. (Flagfox 4.1 dropped support for Firefox 3.0) If you do install Flagfox 4.0.14 and then upgrade to Firefox 4.0, it'll prompt you to install Flagfox 4.1.x because Flagfox 4.0.x doesn't support Firefox 4.0+.

Beauty

Post by Beauty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:10 am

I also miss the statusbar option.
The location at the adress bar I dislike so much, that I came to your page, registered and just want to say, that I'm missing it.

I did read your reasons, but this doesn't change my feeling.
The flag icon fundamentally belongs in the location bar.
It tends to be a good place in common, but this is not my opinion.
I don't need shortcuts.
I don't need to see the servers country immediately.
I want to have a clear adress bar without additional icons of add-ons.

Well, I like flagfox, because I have the OPTION to see to which country a websites server belongs. (For this case I watch to the bottom and know it.) I don't need to see it for every website.

It's strange, that Firefox only offers a hack to show symbols in the bottom bar.
There are so many add-ons, which uses the bottom bar.
I would hate Firefox if they are all banned to the address/button bar.
If I would be an add-on developer, I don't would remove it from the bottom bar.
Instead I would add the wish/request to the Firefox developer place (a forum?) that we don't want to miss the possebility for add-ons to use the bottom bar.

Well, if the Firefox developers forces add-on developers to leave the bottom bar, then it will be sad.
But I would dislike to do it as long as there is an option to show it there.
The Firefox user should have the option where to display the flag.

I don't want to shout to you, Dave.
I just want to tell you my disappointment, which I feel after the update. ... I'm sad.

Now I will remove Flaxfox and hope I can find an older version.
And for the future I hope the Firefox developers will change their mind.
Additionally I have the hope, the bottom bar option will be offered again in the future.

However, I want to say tank you for your add-on.
It offers a tiny, but very sweet feature.

Sisi

Post by Sisi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Me too .... I'm missing the flag in the statusbar.

How can I get an older version of flagfox ???

Looking for help.

Kind regards
Sisi

jt52q

Post by jt52q » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:18 am

take your address bar and shove it...i dont need it anymore.

deighty2

Post by deighty2 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:04 pm

Im with beauty and the other comments about being able to move the flag.

Dave G, you are a grade A knob for that reply to the loyal users of the add-on you have created.