icon position errors caused by missing address bar [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
DaveG
Flagfox Developer

icon position errors caused by missing address bar [FIXED]

Post by DaveG » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:56 am

For those getting icon positioning errors, I would like them to give the attached version a try. We're hitting a bit of a problem trying to communicate what's need to investigate things, so this will probably help a bit. The attached 3.3.2pre will not throw errors when Flagfox is loaded into a window lacking an address bar or status bar, which I think is the problem in some of the posts here. Please give this a test and then try things out. If you get a new error, report it. If Flagfox works as it should and you're happy with it, report that.

(attachment deleted; please update to 3.3.2 final when it's available)

ladybug53

Re: 3.3.2pre to attempt to fix icon position errors

Post by ladybug53 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Your suggested link worked. Thank you!

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:17 pm

ladybug53 wrote:Your suggested link worked. Thank you!
Good. Could you please give things a little test? Just go to a couple pages and make sure the flag shows. Right-click, open the options, and move the flag around a bit to make sure that works too.

This has been downloaded 42 times thus far, and I've only gotten 2 replies. Though, they're positive so I'm hoping everything is fixed. I'll probably post an update with this + the new locale fixes later today.

ladybug53

Post by ladybug53 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Tried several websites. Items on right click worked. Thank you again.

ladybug53

Post by ladybug53 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:19 pm

The flag icon only works in the status bar. I cannot get it to appear in the address bar. Since I want it in the status bar, I'm not complaining just informing.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:41 pm

There's something wrong with your address bar then. Even if you don't want it up there, I would appreciate it if you would go through some standard troubleshooting steps to try and help me figure out what's wrong so I can try fix it for others. Please give #5 here a try. I'm thinking you might have another extension installed that's changing the structure of the address bar somehow?

ladybug53

Post by ladybug53 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:04 pm

I wasn't able to create a new profile. When I typed the message into run I got the firefox page. I tried uninstalling all extensions and still could not get the flag in the address bar. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox, but no luck.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:34 pm

ladybug53 wrote:I wasn't able to create a new profile. When I typed the message into run I got the firefox page. I tried uninstalling all extensions and still could not get the flag in the address bar. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox, but no luck.
You didn't have to uninstall anything; disabling and restarting would be fine. The problem probably isn't Firefox, but rather the profile (your Firefox settings) you use. This is not removed when you un/reinstall Firefox. If all you got was a new Firefox window when you tried to load the profile manager then you didn't exit Firefox first. (support page for this is here) I'm about 99% sure that a new profile will fix the problem, but I have no idea what's wrong with it. Unfortunately, unless someone can figure out a way to tell me how to trigger this issue I won't be able to reproduce and investigate fully.

Please take a screenshot of your address bar and attach it here. Do you have icons on the right side at all?

Also, please try setting Flagfox to the left side of the address bar and see what happens. (restart Firefox after you set it in Flagfox's options, just to be safe)

ladybug53

Post by ladybug53 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:29 pm

I can move the flag from right to left in the status bar, but I can still not get it to appear in the address bar.
Attachments
address bar.JPG
address bar.JPG (135.11 KiB) Viewed 11074 times

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:47 pm

I see no address bar in that screenshot... Um... Do you even have an address bar in there anywhere? Right-click on the toolbar somewhere and goto customize, then see if "location" (i.e. the address bar) is in the list of not-added widgets anywhere. If it is, then this problem is not an error because you don't actually have an address bar for Flagfox to be in. (you have the Google toolbar and Firefox's search bar, but no address bar) The fix in 3.3.2pre simply lets Flagfox handle this unusual situation and not panic and throw up an error dialog. (which was an oversight on my part)