EU domain TLD check [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
thomaml

EU domain TLD check [FIXED]

Post by thomaml » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:29 am

Flagfox 3.3.0 on Firefox 3.0.1 on Windows XP

"Flagfox: Domain and server location are not the same"

Because the EU is not a country, but a group of 27 countries, I guess the message will always appear unless I check "Don't show this again". But the message is useful for other mismatches. Is it possible to set the EU as a group of countries to prevent the message (although I cannot currently think of any other similar situation)?

Mike T in Luxembourg
Attachments
flagfox.gif
flagfox.gif (5.74 KiB) Viewed 5266 times

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: EU domain

Post by DaveG » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:13 pm

The popup is designed to be turned off after the user has read it and understands what's going on. Mismatches aren't that useful to be informed about, most of the time.

Yes, I probably should add an exception for this specific one. Thanks for reporting this.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: EU domain

Post by DaveG » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:22 pm

I've added an exception for this in 3.3.2. It skips this check for the EU domain. There still could be a valid case where, for example, an EU domain was hosted from the US. However, your case is more likely and I'd rather have false negatives than false positives showing useless popups.

The other combination, EU flag with non-EU domain will still show a popup. This may not be as informative as others, but it is valid to say that Flagfox states that it's in Europe and the domain is not EU. This would usually mean that the database is just imprecise and the TLD is a European country, in which case the popup would still make some sense, even if it doesn't explain the whole story. (i.e. Flagfox could say Europe, with a TLD of France, and the server could really be in Germany; this would all be valid, though confusing) The other possibility is a standard TLD/IP country mismatch, in which case the popup would be intended. Seeing as Flagfox has no way to distinguish between the two, I'll not add an exception for this one.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: EU domain TLD check [FIXED]

Post by DaveG » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:53 pm

I just uploaded 3.3.2 with this fix.