Can't backup. storage.js dosen't exists

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
walle

Can't backup. storage.js dosen't exists

Post by walle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:14 pm

I did add an action in options, and of course I want to sync this change to rest of my devices. But I can't no longer locate storage.js in the “{1018e4d6-728f-4b20-ad56-37578a4de76b}” folder. The only file I can find in that folder is "storage.js.migrated" but it does not contain my changes.

Has this been changed? Have it moved to somewhere else? I looked at the FAQ (https://flagfox.wordpress.com/faq/#prefslocation) but I don't see any changes from what I usually do:

1. [url]about:profiles[/url]
2. Press "Open folder/Show in finder"
3. Quit firefox and backup/copy/paste/edit the sorage.js file located in "browser-extension-data/{1018e4d6-728f-4b20-ad56-37578a4de76b}/storage.js".

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Can't backup. storage.js dosen't exists

Post by DaveG » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:22 pm

Hmm... Yes, it looks like Mozilla changed the backend here. (I guess from your perspective, it's the really-back-end, versus the back-end) It looks like "storage.js.migrated" is a leftover backup of the old file from the old system, but not used anymore. Firefox now seems to be storing all WebExt storage in a different, non-human-readable format (sqlite database files), in different folders named using the stupid randomly assigned per-installation IDs they use internally. So, all addons' data is now in the various folders prefixed with "moz-extension+++" (including pluses) under the "<profile>/storage/default/" dir. There also seems to sometimes be two folders for an addon; one with and without a userContextId suffix. I don't know why it does that, but the later seems to be the one that has the actual storage in it (at least, at the moment). If your goal is just to backup all addons' data, you should be able to just grab all of the folders with a "moz-extension+++" prefix. To find which ones are for a specific addon, the simplest way is to open "about:debugging" and find that addon in the list below by name. (regular find-in-page via ctrl+F works fine, if you need it) The "Extension ID" is the permanent ID registered for that addon that's used for installation and addons.mozilla.org, and the "Internal UUID" is the randomly assigned ID that exists only for your specific install into that specific profile.

Once upon a time, Mozilla said they were going to make this prefs system accessible to users similar to how "about:config" was, but they never did and probably never will. So, now it's more buried...

walle

Re: Can't backup. storage.js dosen't exists

Post by walle » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Humm... do you think it’s possible to copy one sqllite file from one system to another? Will that work (I well have to match folders ofcorse)?

Also do you think I can use SQLlite database manager to import/export data? Sometimes I have done two changes on two diffeent devices and in that case I need to see the diff between them so that I can include all changers on all devices.