Please Remove Flagfox Console Message [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
Patrick Dark

Please Remove Flagfox Console Message [FIXED]

Post by Patrick Dark » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:58 pm

First of all, thanks for Flagfox. I've been using it for years.

As to why I'm here: with Flagfox installed, load the page at https://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Thous ... 79273.html. You should end up at a page named "Insecure Connection". When this page is the active tab, Flagfox emits a console message in the Browser Console every time the Firefox window changes focus to another window (including the Browser Console window) or is minimized/maximized. Furthermore, when I click the "Reload current page" button, I see an additional two console messages for a single page load.

I'm using Flagfox 6.0.2 on Firefox Developer Edition 59.0b14 on Windows 10.

This seems to me to be a bug; I don't expect production software to have logging enabled by default and, in any case, this logging seems excessive. A single tab that hasn't changed should not be repeatedly writing redundant data to the Browser Console.

Why am I experiencing this issue? I'm using a (currently private) extension that attempts to load HTTP URLs over HTTPS. Of course, many HTTP pages do not have an HTTPS version which leads to pages like "Insecure Connection" and the aforementioned issue.

—Patrick

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Please Remove Flagfox Console Messages

Post by DaveG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:45 pm

Hmm... yeah, that warning looks like it can be a bit loud, it seems. Normal debug logging is off, but I added a release-mode line in the last update for one specific thing a user reported and I wanted to be able to debug better. I think what I need to do is add some way to toggle debug mode with a setting, rather on build, so I can have users flip it on for troubleshooting. (I wish about:config or similar were still viable here, but it isn't anymore, so I'm gonna have to write some more stuff that used to be built in...)

I'll fix this and upload an early update, probably within a day or two. Thanks for reporting.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Please Remove Flagfox Console Messages

Post by DaveG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:56 pm

Flagfox 6.0.3, now available, has the offending warning shut up. Thanks for reporting.

Patrick Dark

Re: Please Remove Flagfox Console Message [FIXED]

Post by Patrick Dark » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Thanks. I check to see if the issue is addressed in 6.0.3 and it is.

If you don't want to add a visible debugging option to the Options page, you can add a hidden, Console-only switch to the Options page. Make the user open the Options page, press F12 to open the Console, and type something like "flagfox_debugging_enabled = true".