Flagfox 6.0 Beta

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta

Post by DaveG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:46 am

ssobb wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 am
I think that only when you call the main menu of the left mouse button you can return the old view of Flagfox.
The ability to quickly run actions on click/doubleclick/tripleclick is a fairly fundamental Flagfox feature, so I'm not going to get rid of that. (especially because the WebExt API also got rid of hotkeys and all middleclick hotclicks, as well) Having 5 useless Firefox items in there until Mozilla gets its act together and gets its fixes into the current release is fine. Again, Nightly only has two items and some separators; one item to hide the icon (leaving an entry in the "..." page action menu) and another to open the addon's page in the Addon Manager (which would be better served as the addon's options; maybe I can convince them to change that).

Advertisements

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 6.0 Beta 2

Post by DaveG » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:58 am

212eta wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:19 am
The Firefox browser error console (ctrl+shift+J) showed Nothing.
If you're running the Flagfox 6 beta, you'll at least have the startup info dump it currently outputs (I've got some debug stuff turned on for the beta). There definitely won't be completely nothing. If it's completely empty, make sure the stuff in the menus at its top is all enabled. Also, just in case it wasn't clear, what would be useful is stuff that shows immediately after attempting to open the Flagfox options page and paste the stuff in (seeing as the error console can be a din of junk from everywhere, easily drowning out old stuff).

I just tested copy/pasting your list into mine, and it works fine for me. Something is obviously different for you, so I need more info, as I of course would very much like to fix this. As I asked in my prior response, please tell me your exact Firefox version (via about Firefox) and your operating system and its version. Please tell me what language you have installed for Firefox, as well.

TonyTough

Post by TonyTough » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:22 am

I don't know if this is intentional or a bug:

When I close and open Firefox 57.02 again (I have always open about 20 tabs) all tabs only show the globe icon and the correct country flag is only shown after I reload each site.
Also when surfing and I go back to previous sites with "back" button, in most cases also only the globe icon is shown and a manual reload is necessary to show the country flag.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:43 am

TonyTough wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:22 am
When I close and open Firefox 57.02 again (I have always open about 20 tabs) all tabs only show the globe icon and the correct country flag is only shown after I reload each site.
It's a symptom of there being no WebExtension DNS API, and the webRequest API not providing cached IP addresses. If Flagfox is loaded after Firefox has already fetched the resource, then it has no way to get an IP and thus a location.
TonyTough wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:22 am
Also when surfing and I go back to previous sites with "back" button, in most cases also only the globe icon is shown and a manual reload is necessary to show the country flag.
I do have a cache in Flagfox that keeps what it needs around for one minute, which is mostly for undo-close-tab and quick navigation. If you've been off of the site for a while, then I have to clear that cache eventually.

Someone else has already filed a Mozilla bug complaining about their API not giving IPs for cached resources, but who knows if they'll ever actually fix it. I'll be filing a bazillion bugs when I'm done with all this, so hopefully I can poke them enough to get this one dealt with, to some degree. For now, if the page is coming from the Firefox cache and Flagfox hasn't seen it recently (or in another tab), then Flagfox won't be able to know its location.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:46 am

Follow up, as I just thought of this: I think I can fix the session restore issue (no flags on Firefox start for previously loaded tabs) by setting something for that using the WebExtension session API. I'll look into it. Thanks.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:13 am

DaveG wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:46 am
Follow up, as I just thought of this: I think I can fix the session restore issue (no flags on Firefox start for previously loaded tabs) by setting something for that using the WebExtension session API. I'll look into it. Thanks.
I gave this a try and... nope. The WebExtension sessions API does not persist data for session restore, because that's the kind of nonsensical API this is. What it really is, is the undo-close-tab/window API, and that's it.

Question, though: when I restore a session on Firefox start, selecting the tab generally causes it to (re)load and be updated, automatically. Is this happening at all for you? My guess is that maybe it does this or not based on settings sent for each server for how long to cache everything, so YMMV.

Bottom line: If I want to cache flags across session restore, I'll have to write my own cache to do so. That's of course very doable, but I'm thinking that I don't actually want to do that, as that'd mean I'd be saving potentially sensitive user browsing information in my own stuff instead of letting Firefox handle its security/privacy properly, by itself. Thinking about it, I might actually have to revise my privacy policy to do that. When I file the litany of bug reports for stuff I've discovered while fighting with this crap API, I'll complain about the sessions API not actually working between sessions. If they change that, then I can implement things properly, but in lieu of that, I think I'll keep the current behavior. That said, once I start caching more stuff (in a future beta), I may be able to have it show some flags for things, if somewhere else loaded the needed stuff inside another tab.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:26 am

Flagfox 6.0 beta 3 is now available:
https://flagfox.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/flagfox6b3/

Tomaso

Post by Tomaso » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Please tell us that you'll continue to update the XUL/XPCOM version of Flagfox, and make it available somewhere.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Tomaso wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:29 pm
Please tell us that you'll continue to update the XUL/XPCOM version of Flagfox, and make it available somewhere.
As I've said elsewhere in another thread, my answer to that request is a definitive "maybe". However, it's a complete non-starter until I have Flagfox 6.0 done, released, and working well. Ask me again once I'm done with the current mess.

212eta

Flagfox 6.0 Beta 3

Post by 212eta » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Before version 6:

6.0 Beta 3:

1) So, what happened to the useful feature of Domain Nationality (as most sites do Not show it) :?:

2) Is there a need for Domain Name to be listed (as it can already be seen in the address bar) :?: