WebExtensions [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
secsecsec

WebExtensions [FIXED]

Post by secsecsec » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:36 pm

So I've been using FlagFox for many years now, and have always found it to be very useful. Unfortunately we are forced to use chrome at work so can't use it there.

So I was reading about WebExtensions recently, and it seems from what I understand that Mozilla want to move in this direction. So get all extensions using this framework, which would allow them to be compatible in other browsers. Not sure if I've got that right as the info I was reading seems a bit muddled.

I'm sure you can see where my question is going ;) ! Can Flagfox be migrated to use WebExtensions, will it be migrated and if so would it then work on chrome?

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: WebExtensions

Post by DaveG » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 am

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

At this point, I don't know. Mozilla supposedly plans to drop support for non-WebExtension addons next year, which just feels suicidal to me. A large portion of the addon ecosystem will not be updated for a bran new system so easily. I haven't even looked into it enough to know what's possible, and I expect to have plenty of problems when I do. They want to move to an addon model that's safer, but Mozilla just doesn't have the resources to dedicate to working on bringing the addon ecosystem itself along for the ride.

I'll look at it at some point over the next few months, but for now, things are uncertain in the long term.

secsecsec

Post by secsecsec » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:29 am

Ahh, I see. Thanks for your answer.

Doesn't sound like a great idea from Mozilla then, or maybe an OK idea, but not a great plan! I guess we'll see what happens over the rest of the year. And good luck if you do choose to move Flagfox.

DaAwesomeP

Post by DaAwesomeP » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 am

Actually, I think that there are the necessary APIs available for this addon to be converted to a WebExtension. First, the webRequest API allows for the URL to be "intercepted" and read. Next, the pageAction API allows for placing a button with its own popup in the URL bar.