Version 4.2.17 and ReCaptcha!

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
Sarex

Version 4.2.17 and ReCaptcha!

Post by Sarex » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:30 pm

I have a problem with version 4.2.17. When I click on flag this show me a Recaptcha everytime. How fix this? I don't want upgrade because I really don't want new flag icons.

Best Regards.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Version 4.2.17 and ReCaptcha!

Post by DaveG » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Only the most recent Flagfox versions can do Geotool lookups without restriction. We had massive automated abuse in the past to the point of killing the server and forcing us to change domains. We don't have the server resources to allow unlimited lookups from all sources. A captcha is required to verify that the user is not a computer whenever repeated lookups or an old version of Flagfox is detected. This has been true for quite some time, however we gave 4.2.17 a few extra months to give people more time to upgrade. Old versions are not supported.

Sarex

Post by Sarex » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:12 pm

I agree that you put a Captcha in first view for prevent bots and other stuff. But don't see logic have one captcha everytime that I click on flagfox. You can use cookies for prevent this, right?

I think what you are doing is an attempt to force the update. And in my opinion is bad policy.

Sarex

Post by Sarex » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:12 am

Hi Dave, please answer my question. You can just put one Captcha per session on version 4.2.17?

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:22 am

This is free software provided by volunteers, please don't expect old versions to be supported indefinitely. The database in 4.2.17 is already stale, in particular some Google IPs showing incorrectly as in China. (first time I've seen such a major change being noticeable in Maxmind's data from one month to the next) Just install the current version.

Sarex

Post by Sarex » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:10 am

I understand and admire your work.

So, with a little search I extracted icons of version 4 and put in 5. ;) Works perfect! But I have a little problem. Version 5 comes with grey border. What is a file for remove this?

If will be ok with you I can share this version 5 with old icons?

Version 5 with old icons:

Thank you for all!

Sarex

Post by Sarex » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:38 am

I searched files of your extension and remove grey border. Now I have version 5 with icons of 4! Perfect!

What I did: Just copy icons of version 4 and past on version 5 and modify files flagfox.jsm / style.css for remove grey border.

If you give me permission I'll share this on your forum.

Version 5.0.4 with old icons:

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:22 pm

I don't care if you wish to hack around for yourself. I think it's a waste of time, especially just to preserve an old and rather ugly icon set. You don't have to fear change this much...

In any case, my current policy is not to allow links to installers here. It's just not safe to let people share links to arbitrary software installers. Yours might be fine, or it might be just problematic, but I'm not going to be policing them on a case-by-case basis, so please just don't post any at all.

Sarex

Post by Sarex » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:46 pm

Ok, I understand. And I don't go publish in forum because I respect your work. I have now what I want (version 5 with old icons) and I'm very happy. What I suggest to you is please try make a option for people use owned icons. Because your opinion about icons of version 5 is positive but for many people that I saw comment in this forum and mozilla page is very negative.