Méjico? [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
Joel

Méjico? [FIXED]

Post by Joel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 am

Hi all!
I join the forum to notify the typo on mexican servers: "Méjico" when "México" is the correct one.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Méjico?

Post by DaveG » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:51 am

I've PMed the Spanish translator on BabelZilla.

It could just be that this is the correct localization in the Spain and Argentina dialects. Unfortunately BabelZilla (and thus Flagfox) does not have the Mexican dialect available at this time, which I admit is not ideal.

Joel

Post by Joel » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:22 am

Thanks for the reply.
I don't want to start a "correct-spanish" war.
I'm from México, and I think how my country name is :D
but thanks.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:25 am

There's no such thing as "correct Spanish"; each dialect has different things which are "correct" for that dialect. Flagfox is localized into both the Spain and Argentina Spanish dialects, but not Mexico. There are actually 2 full sets of translated files for these 2 locales. (though, with compression this takes up only a little more space than 1) There's no technical reason why we couldn't add a 3rd Spanish dialect, however as I already said, BabelZilla does not support it right now. (probably due to lack of translators)

And of course it very well could be a typo, for all I know. :P We'll have to wait until the es-ES translator replies to know for sure.

I should also point out that there are quite a few nations in the locales that do not match the official self-referenced name. It has to be this way so that everyone knows what it means. For example, if it used "Deutschland" instead of "Germany" in the English locale then 90% of people would have no clue what that means. There's also many examples of more minor differences that are needed to make things sound natural in the given locale. Unfortunately not every language and dialect is available so it won't be perfect for some.

If adding a Mexican Spanish locale isn't likely to happen and the "México" spelling isn't completely invalid in the Spain dialect, then I think changing it to that may be the best option.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:51 am

Next release will use the spelling "México" in the default Spanish (es-ES) locale.