Flagfox 5: can I have the old flags back?

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox 5: can I have the old flags back?

Post by DaveG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:15 am

olduser wrote:Well, my case is even worse, with a dark theme.
I already told you that I've fixed the border for the next version. It will be shaded based on the background and the result is a dark grey border for black backgrounds. I had tested with the current border on a dark theme prior to release and I thought it was fine, but then again, I don't use dark themes. That's why I'm changing it to be darker for those who use darker themes. (still light for light) Dealing with multiple different themes is always going to be a pain, as there's only so much testing I can do. Nobody in the beta complained about the theming prior to release.
olduser wrote:Sadly it looks like you NEVER tested those new flags on any machine other than yours.
OF COURSE I DIDN'T. Who the hell do you think I am? Do you expect me to have a wall of test machines or a focus group with their own computers? I tested on my Linux install, Windows XP, and in Windows in virtual machines (XP & 7). I don't have access to anything else so I did a beta test for a couple of months with upwards of 200 users. I set up a survey for everyone to rate the old flags and new flags and various other features and provide comments, all anonymously, and prompted every single one of them to fill out the survey. I got 5 replies, all positive. All of the people I had more direct contact with had no complaints. (e.g. ~40 translators) This is the maximum extent of what I am capable of doing. I was not capable of affording a computer that was even built this decade until a few days ago when donations started coming in for Flagfox. I don't have access to any large variety of computers to test on, by a longshot. I do not have a large social circle to test software for me.
Some of those look like somebody put them together in MS Paint a pixel at a time. If that's what you like, good for you, but I personally think they're not that great and way too small. For example, you can recognize that this icon means US, but it certainly doesn't look like a US flag:

If you're forced into a tiny space they're good, but I'm trying to use decent sized icons here because people kept complaining that they were too small. All the larger versions are too tall to fit.

It is nonetheless good to see an actually maintained set that looks competent (though there are some blurry/cramped ones in there, though few and far between). They do however have the problem of cramming everything into a very tiny space with wrong aspect ratios. They might be a good suggestion to replace the favicons used for Geotool, as we were not able to get exactly perfect icons from the new set into the tiny space. I'll suggest them to Richard at some point for that purpose. Thanks for the link.

olduser

Post by olduser » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:31 am

Don't know what you are talking about, I just made myself a custom version with that iconset and Im very happy.

I think I found my solution anyway, GoSquared +1. I'll just download your versions and patch them for me.

olduser

Post by olduser » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:55 am

Just tested on Windows this time, default Firefox 27.0.1 with the default theme :

This is called a real testing, Dave G.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:18 am

Ah, you're using the ones that are too big instead of the 16px ones. If I were to find a way to cut off the blank space so they didn't make the address bar oversized, that might work, but I'm certainly not replacing the default set with them.

I have, however, taken enough of your sniping.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:04 am

I was considering adding a way to load a custom set by specifying a path to icons, which might be possible with that set because it's actually complete with ISO code named files. (though the padding is an issue with the 24px ones) Including the 3 (or more) sets in the installer is out of the question by far, as to even add an option to do that would take a month and a half just to get the text of such an option translated into the needed languages.

At this point I don't really feel like dealing with the people who would want this feature so much as to spam one star reviews on AMO. (it's just two accounts, but you can abuse the system to force your voice to the top) I'm actually beginning to realize that 'olduser' is the same person who was already doing it before, as one of the shell accounts replied within seconds after 'olduser' posted something. So, apparently he was the one annoying the Mozilla Add-ons moderators. (though it's possible there's a strange person who found an RSS feed for the reviews and is watching them and responding instantly, but I doubt it) They'll keep deleting the file sharing site links as that's against my license and their policy, and they'll probably start banning accounts if they keep it up. Fortunately, while their response time is slow, they do actually crack down on review system abuse.

As to the legitimate issues, I'm not sure how to fix the theme issue, as it doesn't reproduce on any system I have access to under any theme I've tried. CSS is a black magic that I suck at. It shouldn't be squishing things and adding that light bit, but it apparently is for at least one person. I'm still looking into it, however I may release an update to fix the dark theme issue first.

Kosmich

Post by Kosmich » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:47 pm

New flags is just UGLY!!! :(((
(such a huge size and ugly design!!!)

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Just a note to anyone reading this thread: posting death threats in reviews or elsewhere is not OK. (especially if you don't even say why you'd like me to die)

Seriously; I switch to a larger flat style and induce rage? It's a very small number of people, especially in comparison to positive feedback, but by god you're loud. You guys are going to have a temper tantrum when the new Firefox default theme makes it to release.

The Judge

Post by The Judge » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Hello

I use Flagfox few years now and I must tell you that Grafisme V5 is a bit above me.

I can make a comparison if you will

Here's the old version

Here is the V5

I adapted 24px 260 flags in 24px/20px and I must say that this is not bad at all

The record is more professional even if these flags can have relief. There is also a flat version without relief. When do you think ?

PS : I apologize for my bad english, I go through the google translator :?

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:52 pm

The Judge wrote:I adapted 24px 260 flags in 24px/20px and I must say that this is not bad at all

Yep, that looks pretty decent. I generally don't like the gloss effect, but that is way better than the old 4.x icons. I'm considering custom flag support. A second alternate flag set is theoretically an option, but I'm not sure if I want to do that. As I already said, I'm not going to add back the old unmaintained tiny ones, but some way to do other new ones is not out of the question. It's not something that I will be putting in right away, but it's doable. The padding is a problem, but one that's fixable.

They do have some wrong colors. The Canada flag, for example, is really darkened in that set.
The Judge wrote:There is also a flat version without relief. When do you think ?
The flat version just provides something similar to the current Wikipedia flags, but squished.

I wonder if the editors on Wikipedia get the same level of complaints. They're using the same set, but squished too much when they use them as icons. :/

gidstelios

Post by gidstelios » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 am

Dear Dave, I am a software engineer as well and also happen to use flagfox since its day 1 release. I found it really awesome and was always a must in any firefox installation I had. Recently it was updated to version 5 and I, as well, immediately disliked the large flag icons the new version featured. I searched for the 'use old icon set' setting but it was not there as well. Now then, could we have the old flag icon set back? I understand that you consider this a positive feature in this update but it is rather a negative one, fact that is also proven by the answers of all the other people in this thread. Being a software engineer myself I would immediately return a feature that I would have removed back to my software if the people using it asked for it and would let aside any egoism about what I believed is right or wrong concerning my software. Thanks for your time.