Flagfox crashes on startup [RESOLVED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
alonr

Flagfox crashes on startup [RESOLVED]

Post by alonr » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:51 pm

Hi
I get the following message when Firefox starts:
------------------------------------------------------------
FLAGFOX VERSION: 4.2.x (2013-12)

ERROR MESSAGE: Error loading icon for window

EXCEPTION THROWN: TypeError: window.getBrowser(...) is null

STACK TRACE:
newFlagInstance@resource://flagfox/flagfox.jsm:508
Flagfox.init@resource://flagfox/flagfox.jsm:145
Flagfox_loadForThisWindow@chrome://flagfox/content/overlay.xul:16

BROWSER: Mozilla Firefox 26.0 (Gecko 26.0 / 20131205075310)
LOCALE: en-us content / en-us UI / en-us OS
------------------------------------------------------------

Strangely enough from then on a JS can no longer open new tabs, so add ons like Gmail Manager no longer function. It seems Flagfox changes one of Firefox properties since even after I remove Flagfox the JS problem persists and the only way to fix it is a complete reinstall of Firefox... Strange.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox crashes on startup

Post by DaveG » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:56 pm

If you can uninstall Flagfox and problems persist then this clearly isn't caused by Flagfox. It's not going to change anything in Firefox that would break like this, that's for sure. Flagfox is breaking due to whatever issue in Firefox broke everything else. If window.getBrowser() doesn't work in Firefox then lots of things aren't going to work correctly. Flagfox is just the only thing to give you an error message telling you exactly which function is broken. (also, it's technically not a crash unless the whole application dies and goes away, preferably bringing up the Mozilla Crash Reporter; this is just a bad error)

Most likely scenario is you've got some malware or other bad junk on your system. I suggest resetting your Firefox profile, then installing the addons you use again into it. (just the ones you want, not everything you had previously installed) Running an anti-virus / malware scanner on your system also would probably be wise. I haven't used Windows enough recently to know which programs are the best for this at the moment, however.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/re ... t-problems

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox crashes on startup

Post by DaveG » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:07 am

Flagfox 4.2.17 and 5.0b1 both have some new error checking to handle this specific case of Firefox brokenness more gracefully.