error message start up error [RESOLVED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
hutch2011

error message start up error [RESOLVED]

Post by hutch2011 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 pm

Sorry, the Flagfox extension has encountered a problem. The following error output and a Flagfox preferences dump has been sent to Tools -> Error Console.

------------------------------------------------------------
FLAGFOX VERSION: 4.2.x (2013-5)

ERROR MESSAGE: Fatal Flagfox startup error!

EXCEPTION THROWN: TypeError: IPDBmetadata.size is undefined

STACK TRACE:
loadIPDBfile@resource://flagfox/ipdb.jsm:103
ipdb.init@resource://flagfox/ipdb.jsm:26
startup@resource://flagfox/flagfox.jsm:64
Flagfox.init@resource://flagfox/flagfox.jsm:139
Flagfox_loadForThisWindow@chrome://flagfox/content/overlay.xul:16

BROWSER: Mozilla Firefox 22.0 (Gecko 22.0 / 20130618035212)
LOCALE: fr content / fr UI / fr-be OS

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: error message start up error

Post by DaveG » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:25 pm

See: http://flagfox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=514

Any information you can contribute would be nice. This error is essentially "impossible" because it's complaining of having files from an old version of Flagfox mixed with the current one. Firefox handles all addon installation, so anything like this is on their side of things. I suspect yet another piece of junk malware somewhere on your system that's breaking Firefox's ability to properly install its files as needed. There's not really anything I can do to investigate this further without lots more information.

AGRusso

Post by AGRusso » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:33 am

I had a similar start-up problem, as follows:

After getting on internet, I tried to open Firefox, but it crashed with this error message:

FLAGFOX VERSION: 4.2.x (2013-6)

EXCEPTION THROWN: IPv4 DB file is corrupt (got 493668 bytes but expected 489672 bytes)

BROWSER: Mozilla Firefox 22.0 (Gecko 22.0 / 20130618035212)
LOCALE: en-us content / en-us UI / en-us OS

After getting a window with this message, I went to Support Forums and filled out application to join. Next, I tried to reopen Firefox to activate the account at the Support Forums. I could see my emails, but when I opened the email from Support Forums and clicked on the link to "troubleshoot first," Firefox crashed again with another message window that appeared. I couldn't copy the info in the "Details" of the crash, but I sent it to Firefox at approximately 10:23 pm CDT. I am running Windows 7 Professional, and Firefox is Version 22.0.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:27 pm

As previously mentioned, please reinstall Flagfox. Reinstalling Firefox wouldn't hurt either.

I don't know why some users have broken addon installs. Firefox handles all of that and I have no control over installation. If my files aren't even properly installed you're going to have to reinstall them to get it to work.

I highly suspect you have some very broken system cleaner software or something calling itself security software running on your system.

If Firefox is crashing the first suspect is also malware and I would ask you try Mozilla Support for specific help there.

AGRusso

Post by AGRusso » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:34 pm

I have been sending error reports to Mozilla, and Mozilla is also working on the issue. Despite reinstalling Flagfox, Firefox continued to crash several times today. I tried to disable Flagfox, since the error report stated that Firefox had crashed due to Flagfox. The only way to disable Flagfox was to also disable All-in-One Sidebar, since All-in-One was not allowing users to disable extensions as it has in the past. Perhaps there is an incompatibility between All-in-One and the latest version of Firefox. To disable both All-in-One Sidebar and Flagfox, I clicked on Firefox, Help, Restart with Add-Ons Disabled. Then, on the list of all my extensions and add-ons that appeared, Flagfox STILL could not be disabled unless All-in-One Sidebar was first disabled. After both of these extensions were disabled, I could restart Firefox normally. Then I used Alt, T, A to bring up the Add-Ons list again and confirm that All-in-One and Flagfox were both disabled. I currently run the latest version of Firefox.

This doesn't 'fix' the issue with Flagfox, but it allows Firefox to run without crashing, I hope. So far, so good.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:42 pm

AGRusso wrote:I tried to disable Flagfox, since the error report stated that Firefox had crashed due to Flagfox.
What? Thus far, all I've seen is a Flagfox error message from it being broken due to a corrupted install (for whatever reason) and you also having Firefox crashes. I don't see how the two are directly related, though whatever broke everything could've easily caused both issues. If you have something saying that Flagfox was at fault here that's an entirely different matter. Please post that information if you actually have that. (also note, that I use nothing in Firefox that is capable of crashing, so if there is a crash triggered here it's by hitting a Firefox bug, but I'd obviously like to investigate it and get it fixed however that is necessary) At a minimum please post your Firefox crash IDs.

AGRusso

Post by AGRusso » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:01 pm

Since upgrading Firefox, and doing an uninstall then re-install of Flagfox, Flagfox works great without any problems. I believe that my issue is now resolved. Your extension is helpful. I want to thank you for your efforts.

0031_Flag

Post by 0031_Flag » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:38 am

I got the same error as AGRusso (http://flagfox.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=521#p1731) and reinstalling Flagfox did the trick. I have no idea what cause this. I don't use any cleaning software on Windows besides my virus scanner. I have the same scanner installed combined with Firefox and Flagfox for 8 months, this is the first time I see an error in Flagfox after years of usage. An odd thing about my setup could be that I have Flagfox installed in Windows and Linux and I use Mozilla Sync to synchronize add-ons.

Anyhow it seems solved and I can happily keep using Flagfox :)

AlexExArdrossan

Post by AlexExArdrossan » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:21 am

I've just had a similar error message appear to AGRusso's. This post is just a for-notice at the moment, to make sure the error report gets posted accurately. Once it's safely up, I'll try uninstalling Flagfox, restarting Pale Moon, and reinstalling Flagfox. I'll edit this post with the results of that reinstall when it's done; that shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or so from posting.

EDIT Uninstall and reinstall complete, and Pale Moon now seems to be running normally with an operational Flagfox. Not sure what happened to provoke the error message in the first place, but it looks to have sorted itself out./EDIT
FLAGFOX VERSION: 4.2.x (2013-8)
EXCEPTION THROWN: IPv4 DB file is corrupt (got 498708 bytes but expected 492738 bytes)
BROWSER: Moonchild Productions Pale Moon 24.1.1 (Gecko 24.1.0 / 20131105152611)
LOCALE: en-us content / en-us UI / en-gb OS
My computer: Lenovo Ideapad
My OS: Windows 8.1
My browser: Pale Moon 24.1.1 (Windows-optimised version of Firefox, add-ons including previous versions of Flagfox generally run OK.)
My security software: McAfee Internet Security. I'm not aware of having done anything that would have sent it digging into add-on code.
My situation: Error appeared on starting up Pale Moon; I'm not aware of doing anything to it. The update from PMv24.1.0 to PMv24.1.1 was within the past few days, but it had been working previously post-update.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:47 am

I still have no idea what issue(s) are causing your Firefox profiles to get corrupt like this, and probably have no practical way of finding out. In order to fix this, Flagfox 5.0 will be an extractionless installation addon. There will be one archive file installed and everything will load out of that, instead of having Firefox extract it to install its multiple files. It won't be possible to get franken-installs anymore with only the one file to deal with. (the issues above are due to botched updates by Firefox that leave part of one version installed on top of part of an old version)

The first beta for Flagfox 5.0 is available here, however there's no point in installing it to fix this problem, as any installation of a version of Flagfox should fix it (e.g. reinstall current version). This new version, however, should be immune to this particular type of Firefox BS. The beta is up now, but the final release won't be until next month.