Possible inclusion of server local time?

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
deys82

Possible inclusion of server local time?

Post by deys82 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Hello there. i am deys82. to be honest when i am browsing through the extension add-ons and i see many people are into flagfox. so i tried it and i find it quite fascinating. it is sure is helpful for someone who quite curious about the server attributes, including me :D

yeah... i know exactly how people who are working "alone and during their free time" because i am one of them too ;)
it is quite pain taking to catch with people requests and while living with the real world with just you who are the one working, all by yourself...

by the way, i think someone have come up to this question in the reviews but officially i am putting it here (obviously) for feedbacks
is it possible to retrieve server local time and put it besides the flag? also if you don't mind including our local time?
the function could be made into selection of turn on or off since i know not all people want this kind of function. i do hope you can make it possible in the next upgrade.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
the selection could be like...
1- show server time
2- show server time and local time
3- show local time
4- don't show at all (default)

via dropdown selection menu of Optional Inclusions

in the mean time...

in the Icon Function of the dropdown selection menu,

you can make middle-click action into click-type where the dropdown menu would be...
1- middle-click
2- right-click
3- left-click

radio button > use single click | use double click

Will Open dropdown menu
- your flagfox current open menu
------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, that's the improvement that could be implemented for the next upgrade... hope you can consider it... with your time, effort and constraint... i wish you all the best for flagfox... ;)

thank you for your time and have a nice day...

Regards,

deys82

p/s: you may want to put donate button for extra funds :mrgreen:

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Possible inclusion of server local time?

Post by DaveG » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Geotool has a server local time feature. Just click the flag to look it up.

However, I don't expect to add this to Flagfox any time soon. Flagfox only knows what country something is in, and multiple parts of countries can be in different timezones. As a result, I don't think I have quite enough info to get an accurate result every time. I couldn't figure out which time zone applies for each and every IP. Geotool gives much more detailed info from a larger database, whereas Flagfox stops at the country (i.e. flag) level. Since Flagfox does everything with an internal IP to location database, cramming too much more in here would make the installer and each update unwieldy large.

deys82

Post by deys82 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:16 pm

yeah... i c your point... quite challenging isn't it?
but if i not mistaken, i am pretty sure i have seen http GET function or GET function somewhere on the net... don't remember where but the GET function will retrieved the GET data and displays it accordingly... i think it is possible for most servers... here i mean is that flagfox is the one who do the GET function... not relying on third party data....

it can sycn it with the server time automatically... but oh well... i know... being a coder is not that easy... i understand...

hope you get what i mean....

thanks...

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:26 pm

If I understand you correctly, you're basically suggesting that Flagfox ask Geotool the server time for each page? (or some other source, maybe the server itself) I decided for technical and privacy reasons not to have Flagfox do any remote lookups/requests when browsing. Everything is done inside Flagfox itself without connecting anywhere else. (also a hit to the DNS cache; read the proxy sticky for more info) Geotool has all the more detailed features like this.

deys82

Post by deys82 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:11 pm

well... basically flagfox is the one who request it from the server directly... not more than that... well... if it too much trouble... i don't blame you... if somehow you got some other point besides geotool and similar to it... maybe you can work on it... just a suggestion though... i think it is not a privacy issue if flagfox get the server time directly from the server in question... the get function could always be automatically adjusted according to the server itself where i mean if the server refuse to give the required information, then flagfox just abort it... simple as that... it is based on how the server response also... flagfox will not forced to get the data required if the server don't want to give... that's it... not more than that... the possibility is limited by the server response only...

that's it from me...

thanks...