Proxy issues [OBSOLETE]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
wand

Proxy issues [OBSOLETE]

Post by wand » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Hello

I recently discovered FlagFox and i've installed it in more than one PCs. I've noticed a questionmark with "unknown site" as tooltip in one of my PCs and when i searched a little, i discovered it's probably caused by a proxy. I checked the Proxy/DNS sticky post but i'm not sure if the problem can be solved. Can anyone please suggest any tests i can perform, or any configuration options? I have "flagfox.dnswithproxy" = 0 in config. I changed it to 1 and restarted but i don't get any prompt.

TIA

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Proxy issues

Post by DaveG » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:10 pm

All Flagfox options viewable in about:config have a GUI to set them. (either in the options or via a prompt) For reference, the values of "flagfox.dnswithproxy" are:
-1 = always deny
0 = prompt if needed
1 = always allow

Your selection if checking the "don't ask again" box in the proxy prompt is what decides to save the choice to +/-1. There's a reset link that then shows in the options to set it back to 0 if desired.

If you're using a SOCKS proxy which does the DNS on its side (and have "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" set to true), and thus you have no DNS on your end, then there's nothing that can be done. Flagfox needs DNS to work. What are Firefox's network settings? How is your network set up, for that matter?

As of Flagfox 3.2.6 it should be smart enough to not prompt unless Firefox already isn't doing DNS locally, so if you aren't getting the prompt than this may not be entirely proxy related. (update if you aren't using this version yet) I'll need more info to figure out exactly what's going on.

Edited to add:
As of Flagfox 3.3 this preference does not exist. There is now only a simple warning. Set "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" based on what you want Firefox to do and Flagfox will respect that.