Shortcuts to open action on new tab or new window [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
strel

Shortcuts to open action on new tab or new window [FIXED]

Post by strel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi.

This is a request for adding shortcuts to the flagfox actions menu under the flag of the URL bar, I'm thinking on (Ctrl + Primary Click) and (Shift + Primary Click) resembling to Firefox key combinations to open link in new tab and new window... so normal click would open action in the same tab, and key combinations would open it in a new tab or new window respectively.
This would be an improvement over the current setting that let users open action in the current tab or in a new tab, exclusively.

Also I'm going to request again that folders to organize actions in the flagfox menu of the URL bar, be added.

Thanks in advance.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Request: Shortcuts to open action on new tab or new wind

Post by DaveG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:48 am

It's currently set up to allow any of those combinations to be set to a different action. So ctrl+click and click can already be set to different things. In hindsight, yeah, I think this might've been a less than ideal design choice when I wrote the hotclick handling to be this flexible. I know I've got a minor usability issue here, and have been wondering what the best way to fix this would be for a while now. I'm thinking that to handle the fact that some users might've set an action into a conflicting combo I'd need to add something along these lines as an option, even if it's defaulted to on. I'm thinking something like adding ctrl to send the new tab/window to the background rather than foreground and then maybe shift to open in a window instead of a tab (though, this part wouldn't really be that useful).

As to folders, yeah, it's on my todo list filed under things that would be nice but a pain in the ass to write the UI to edit them with.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:47 am

Actually, I'm wrong about that first part. I forgot; you can do modifiers with keyboard shortcuts, not mouse shortcuts. So nevermind on that being a problem. I think I can add modifiers for icon clicks. Also, if the event actually gives the keyboard modifier (which it may not) then I might be able to do so for menu clicks too. Sorry, I'm tired and I replied too fast. :doh:

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:36 am

Flagfox 5+ will support the following shortcuts in the actions menu:

normal click -> open based on preference
middle-click or ctrl+click -> open in new background tab
shift+click -> open in new window
ctrl+shift+click -> open in new background window (on platforms that support it; background windows don't work under Linux)

Because you can set middle-click on the icon to its own separate action, these shortcuts are for in the menu only.

Even more useful: Flagfox 5+ won't close the menu when middle/ctrl+clicking. You can now middle/ctrl+click a bunch of actions in a row to easily open multiple actions in quick succession.

This new functionality is not yet in the current beta. It should be in 5.0b4 whenever I release that.