Flagfox for Opera

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
jmancinelli

Flagfox for Opera

Post by jmancinelli » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:12 am

Hi Dave, is it possible in the future to do a port of Firefox for the Opera 11 series browsers?

Some guy has already created a port for Google Chrome.

I don't know much about the development process for Opera extensions, so I'm not sure how much different the code would look (I am not a programmer, either).

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Flagfox for Opera

Post by DaveG » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:48 am

As stated in the application support listing post, non-Mozilla-based applications cannot be supported. Each browser essentially has a completely alien extension system to each other (plugins like Flash are another matter; there's IE's way and then Mozilla's way which is shared by everyone else). Creating an extension code-base and build system that allows for building versions for completely different browsers is a massive endeavor and not only would I not know where to start, I wouldn't want to try. I'm sorry, but I only do this as a hobby in my spare time and with the exception of SeaMonkey which I support because it's 99.9% the same as Firefox for what I need, I'm not going to attempt to write a completely new version of Flagfox for any browser I don't even use.

The Chrome Flags extension for Google Chrome isn't a port, per se, as it's really a new extension doing a similar thing, though I think it may reuse some Flagfox code (I don't remember off-hand). Also, it appears to have been abandoned since April 2010.

jmancinelli

Re: Flagfox for Opera

Post by jmancinelli » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:09 am

Ah, I didn't realize that it would be so problematic. I know that Opera's rendering engine is completely different (and proprietary), but it would clearly be too much hassle to attempt to rewrite the whole thing.