Error message with EZ Sidebar [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
equibob

Error message with EZ Sidebar [FIXED]

Post by equibob » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:23 pm

I receive the following error when undocking EZ sidebar. Once the error message is closed both EZ Sidebar and Flagfox appear to function normally. Error does not occur when re-docking EZ Sidebar. I disabled all extensions except Flagfox and EZ Sidebar and can still reproduce this error.

ERROR MESSAGE: Flagfox failed to load!
EXCEPTION THROWN: Could not find Flagfox icon

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9pre) Gecko/2008041807 Minefield/3.0pre

Adblock plus 0.7.5.4
Download statusbar0.9.6.1
EZ Sidebar 3.1.2008040701
Flagfox 3.2.3
NoScript 1.6
ShowIP 0.8.06build0210
termblaster with Firefox 1.4.2

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Error message with EZ Sidebar

Post by DaveG » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:35 pm

Thank you for reporting this.

I did a little testing, and it didn't take me long to find out what's wrong here, and I'm sorry to say that the problem really seems to be on their end. (though, in the meantime I can work around it if I have to) Basically, what's happening is the new detached sidebar window is using the full browser in a trimmed-down state. It's loading all browser extensions again; not just Flagfox. (I see Adblock overlays in the DOM too when I have that installed) The problem is that when Flagfox is loaded in this new window it tries to find its flag icon in the statusbar, and there isn't even a hidden statusbar. Hence the message. ;)

I suggest you contact EZ sidebar and ask them if it's possible to make their new window not load all the browser overlay extensions again, as it shouldn't need them. If you have a lot of browser overlay extensions installed it would be loading them all again, which is fairly pointless. I can basically make this particular Flagfox error message silent, so as to not complain, but then there's always the possibility that it might be needed to catch some other issue. I'll also look into this a bit more and see if there's anything else I can do.

equibob

Post by equibob » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:16 am

I will contact EZ Sidebar. In the meantime closing the error message box is a minor annoyance that I can live with so please don't silence the error on my behalf. As you say it might be needed for something else.

Thanks for your prompt reply and thanks for a great extension.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:38 am

Ideally they'll fix the issue on their end, but if they don't or can't for some reason I've come up with a compromise that should work if I need to. I can just add a check to the beginning of Flagfox's startup to make sure there's a status bar in the current window in the first place. (hidden or otherwise) In that case I can send that error message to the console and not have a popup. The other message that complains when it can't find the icon in the status bar would be unaffected.

Of course that would make this conflict a lesser deal, but because the EZ Sidebar window is loading other extensions too I'm sure there's far worse conflicts out there. Flagfox is just the first one to complain. :P

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 am

I'm adding a new check to the startup to make sure the normal main window is there, which is Flagfox needs. (and is loaded into it via the overlay, in newer versions) If there's a problem I'll just dump an error message to the console and stop the startup, avoiding the error popup. I already added checks for the address and status bars a while ago, but the problem with EZ Sidebar is that its window doesn't even have the "main-window" base element even though it applies the overlay for some reason. Again, I don't think it should be applied here, but it is. Whatever; simple check to add with the way it's been since Flagfox 3.3.x or so. Consider this dealt with for Flagfox 3.3.5.