v. 4.1 - where has the option to put flag into the statusbar

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
Beauty

Re: v. 4.1 - where has the option to put flag into the statu

Post by Beauty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 pm

DaveG wrote:18x12 pixels,... 16x16.... 24x24 ... 20x20 ... 20 or 24
Oh, this looks tricky and would need case differenciations.
Interesting to know.
I thought, Firefox would use an equal style for different operation systems.
I put a lot of effort and time adding (and committed to more future time for maintenance and testing) IPv6 support
Yes, this has a much more higher priority than the location.
But normal users doesn't see the amount of work, because it's hidden internally.
Wikipedia has a lot of SVG flags, but I think I'd have to download them all individually and they may actually be too detailed
SVG? Good idea.
Maybe a Flagfox user could do the job, but how to find a helper with motivation and free time? ...
Additionally we would have to look to the licences. I suppose we can't use every pictures. (I'm not shure, but I think some Wikipedia images have resticted licences, e.g. display on Wikipedia is allowed, but not copy&past it to somewhere else.)

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Beauty wrote:I thought Firefox would use an equal style for different operation systems.
Nope. It actually got worse for Firefox 4+, though I think they may have fixed some of it at the last minute to simplify things a bit. From what I can tell, they changed things to allow just 16x16 and 24x24 for a toolbar button. And after reading some more stuff on the topic, the flag icons might actually also be too big for small icons mode toolbars. They'd barely fit if you manually removed the toolbar button padding, but on some themes it'd probably look bad.

Let me put it to you this way: I seem to keep finding new reasons why turning the flag icon into a toolbar button would be problematic...
Beauty wrote:
DaveG wrote:I put a lot of effort and time adding (and committed to more future time for maintenance and testing) IPv6 support
Yes, this has a much more higher priority than the location.
But normal users doesn't see the amount of work, because it's hidden internally.
Yep, but if I didn't add it I would get a lot of people complaining about it over the next year. The last IPv4 blocks are being used up as we speak so eventually Flagfox basically wouldn't work altogether without IPv6 support. This new feature of Flagfox 4.1 is the sort of thing that is a big deal but largely goes unnoticed, though a few web developers that use Flagfox regularly did thank me for adding support. ;)

To give you an idea of the kind of work that took to add IPv6 support, the first step was learning a new programing language... and that was the easy part. :roll:
Beauty wrote:SVG? Good idea.
I've considered it for a while, but I don't know if I'll ever want to use them in Flagfox. If I did that, I might need to take out the other 2 flag sets and then somehow make them as separate downloadables so as to not bloat the installer. Might be overkill, though.

Mr Wolf

Post by Mr Wolf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:16 am

Hi! I've just tried Firefox 4 (I will not keep it now, since some extensions I need don't work), and there's a bar in the bottom!
Sorry if this has already been remarked, I'm going to sleep now! :roll:
I'm Winston Wolf, I solve problems