TLD placeholder & lookup [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
djammie

TLD placeholder & lookup [FIXED]

Post by djammie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:01 am

Hi,

I'm trying to write a custom action to show the Wikipedia page for the TLD of the current page - so something like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.{tld}

But I can't find the appropriate placeholder for the TLD. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Dave

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: TLD placeholder?

Post by DaveG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:09 pm

No, there is no TLD placeholder. I'm not sure how useful it would be but I could add it if there were a compelling reason. Looking it up on Wikipedia is about the only thing I can think of right now. There might be some other use for it so I'll consider adding it for 4.1 at some point.

djammie

Post by djammie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:34 pm

Ok - thanks. I've recently ended up on a couple of websites, like www.rapha.cc and wondered where on earth is ".cc". I immediately turned to Flagfox thinking it's bound to be able to tell me. But disappointingly it couldn't. Not the end of the world but would be great if you could add it. Not that I can think of any other use except for linking to Wikipedia either ;)

Dave

rleeden
Site Admin

Post by rleeden » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:06 pm

Coincidently I was wondering about the ".cc" TLD the other day too, but it didn't occur to me to find the answer using Flagfox. It has now, and while Flagfox can't currently provide the answer I've written a quick PHP script to help. The following custom action should give you what you're looking for:

http://flagfox.net/tld.php?domain={domainName}

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:31 pm

I think I'm going to add a {tld} placeholder to get the effective TLD, i.e. the top level domain that can be registered. For example, www.bbc.co.uk would give .co.uk instead of just .uk. The service I'm already using for getting {baseDomainName} can provide this easily so it'll be simple to add.

rleeden
Site Admin

Post by rleeden » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:58 pm

DaveG wrote:I think I'm going to add a {tld} placeholder to get the effective TLD, i.e. the top level domain that can be registered. For example, http://www.bbc.co.uk would give .co.uk instead of just .uk. The service I'm already using for getting {baseDomainName} can provide this easily so it'll be simple to add.
Thanks Dave. And linking to Wikipedia with .co.uk, as the original poster was after, still works fine as Wikipedia redirects that to the .uk page. Although, there was some inconsistency, as for example .ac.uk, redirected to the .ac page rather than the .uk page. But Wikipedia being what it is, it now correctly links to the .uk page..... ;)

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:06 pm

This feature is now in Flagfox 4.1b1. I've added a {TLD} placeholder and it's used by a new "Wikipedia: TLD" action available in the options dialog which does exactly what you're requesting. :)