Flagfox 4.1 alphas bugs and feedback

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Flagfox 4.1 alphas bugs and feedback

Post by DaveG » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Flagfox 4.1 beta 1 is now out and this thread is now closed. Info and feedback for the first beta is now on the new blog:
http://flagfox.wordpress.com/2011/01/30 ... -released/

All bleeding-edge support, i.e. new betas and Minefield/Trunk support, will be handled in Flagfox 4.1 prereleases for now. There is no real schedule for Flagfox 4.1 development yet, but it should be ready at least before Firefox 4.0 final is released.

A note about versioning status: These versions are labeled "alpha" because they are not feature complete, but it shouldn't blow up on you. If it does, of course, then please post here to tell me and I'll fix it. ;)

Flagfox 4.0.x will continue to receive its normal monthly IP address location database updates as readily as possible until Flagfox 4.1 final is released. The Flagfox 4.1 alphas and betas will contain the newest available version of the database, but will not be released on the same monthly schedule. You can check the database version via the Flagfox about dialog. (go to Tools, Add-ons, right-click on Flagfox, select "about") The database version is in the parenthetical after the main Flagfox version.

Some new features have new strings. There won't be any new localization until after I get to something I can call a beta, so for now the few new strings will show as English regardless of your locale.

Note that recent Firefox 4.0b7pre+ replaced the status bar with the addon bar. Flagfox's status bar positioning will work to some limited degree using a backwards compatibility hack in Firefox itself (via a dummy status bar element in the addon bar). Better support for the new addon bar will be added in a future version.

Changes in Flagfox 4.1a4:
  • Includes database update and Geotool access update in Flagfox 4.0.11 (required for Geotool usage)
  • Added new {title} placeholder for page title
  • Added new {meta-*} placeholders syntax to get page meta tags' data (ex: description, keywords)
  • Added new {locale-*} placeholders expanded syntax for getting specific settings (page, content, UI, OS)
  • Fixed locale handling for some systems with mixed settings
  • Added proper support for "javascript:" actions; now executes in sandbox instead of opening URL
  • Added Page Metadata default action
  • Replaced multi-pane help box in the edit action dialog with a single basics pane and a popup for advanced
  • Added buttons for each placeholder in the advanced help popup to paste to the template field
Changes in Flagfox 4.1a3:
  • Includes database and locale updates in Flagfox 4.0.10
  • Some light code refactoring for actions, strings, and page update handling code
  • Fixed icon not updating on page refresh if needed and improved performance of update check a bit
  • Fixed extra loading of country names list for edit action and icon set preview dialogs
  • Fixed hotclick menu in edit action dialog to not truncate long localizations or resize menu to selection
  • Removed new SEO Browser default action because the useful version of the service now requires signup
  • Updated existing experimental Mozilla Weave/Firefox Sync support to use newer pref name format
Changes in Flagfox 4.1a2:
  • Added new icon for about: URLs (about:blank still has its own new page icon)
  • Added new side menu for the add action button in the options dialog
  • Added new clone selected action feature (via add menu or ctrl+c hotkey)
  • Added new paste action(s) from clipboard feature (via add menu or ctrl+v hotkey)
  • Added link to custom actions forum to add menu
  • Optimized options dialog action list generation to improve performance
  • Fixed menu auto-resizing problems in the options dialog under Firefox 4
  • Replaced Copy Country action with Copy Server Info action: "domain (ip) - country (code)"
  • Changed initial startup icon to throbber for async loads under Firefox 4 (e.g. session restoring)
  • Improved importing to be smarter: can now take in first found plain text URL or link as starting point
Changes in Flagfox 4.1a1:
  • Includes all changes in Flagfox 4.0.9 except the obviously not applicable Firefox 3.0.x warning
  • Added 4 default actions to the options: Internet Archive, SSL Checker, URL Parser, WAVE a11y Check
  • Added 1 default action to the menu: SEO Browser
  • Dropped all support for Gecko 1.9.0 based browsers, including Firefox 3.0.x and all Flock versions
  • Removed Gecko 1.9.0 support hacks
  • Added extractionless XPI opt-out to install manifest to regain Trunk support
  • Removed obsolete Flagfox 4.0 first run page
  • Added full support for all address bar positioning options under current SeaMonkey 2.1b1pre+
  • Improved drag & drop support to better strip bullet points when dropping action lists into options
  • Made pressing delete key on custom actions in options also select next item for quick multi-deletes/undos
====================================================================================================

Application compatibility changes for Flagfox:
  • Flagfox 4.0.8+ supports: Firefox 3.0-4.0b6, Flock 2.0-2.5, SeaMonkey 2.0-2.1a3
  • Flagfox 4.1a3+ supports: Firefox 3.5-4.0b8pre, SeaMonkey 2.0-2.1b2pre
Flagfox 4.1 will no longer support anything based on Mozilla Gecko 1.9.0, which includes Firefox 3.0 and Flock 2.0-2.5. Firefox 3.0 was officially declared end-of-life (EOL) and no longer supported by Mozilla on March 30, 2010. Its updates are Firefox 3.5+ and 3.6+. (Firefox 3.5 was also supposed to be declared EOL by now, too...) Flock application support is dropped entirely because Flock 3 is no longer Mozilla based at all.

I don't personally use SeaMonkey, so its support is still officially secondary to Firefox, but with this alpha I think I'm up to feature parity for Flagfox running on either application. (correct me if I'm wrong)

====================================================================================================

Known issues as of 4.1a4:
  1. The SeaMonkey location bar drop down arrow still accidentally brings up the Flagfox menu, but it's been like this forever. (report topic)
  2. Better support for the new Firefox 4.0b7pre+ addon bar which replaced the status bar is needed.
  3. Flagfox 4.0 included limited support for Mozilla Weave Sync form the start, though requiring an about:config pref to turn on. Firefox 4 is getting Mozilla Firefox Weave Sync (or whatever they're going to call the thing) built in now. Flagfox 4.1a3 is updated to work with newer versions but still does not yet have any in-GUI options for it.
  4. The new modifications to the edit action dialog's help system are not yet final and need tweaking.
If I or anyone finds a new specific bug in this version I'll amend this list to keep track easily.

Default action list changes as of 4.1a4:
  • 5 new in options: Internet Archive, SSL Checker, URL Parser, WAVE a11y Check, Page Metadata
  • 1 replaced in options: Copy Country -> Copy Server Info: "domain (ip) - country (code)"
  • 1 added then removed: SEO Browser (was good, but then they changed to require signup to work)
  • Total: 6 new, 1 removed
No action changes I make are to be considered final, yet. I may add or remove any as I feel necessary. If you know of a particularly useful action that isn't already listed in Flagfox or in the Custom Actions forum then please post in that forum to tell us about it. I will be considering more additions, but please, only make suggestions politely. I will only include actions which I believe will be useful to a fair enough number of users and don't do anything stupid. More specialized actions can be added easily by just dragging them from the forum posts to the Flagfox options dialog, which is what the forum is for. (you can even be really lazy and just ctrl-a a page with an actions list and drag the whole freakin' selection into the Flagfox options dialog and it'll figure it out)

Main new features thus far that need testing:
  • New action placeholders and functionality. Actions that use page metadata can now be written and more may use this in the future.
  • Improvements to the options dialog and its new add action menu. Please make sure everything works as stated, doesn't screw up when importing various things, and the styling isn't broken horribly under any theme.
This thread is conveniently linked to via the Flagfox 4.1 alphas context menu (right-click on the flag icon, select "Flagfox 4.1 feedback") so you can find it easily and make any comments you want. All feedback will be appreciated.

If you're simply too lazy to register to post in these forums you can email me directly at daveg dot extensionfeedback at gmail dot com.
Last edited by DaveG on Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Reason: updated for Flagfox 4.1a4

RussiaFlag

Re: Flagfox 4.1 alphas bugs and feedback

Post by RussiaFlag » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Sorry, the Flagfox extension has encountered a problem. The following error output and a Flagfox preferences dump has been sent to Tools -> Error Console.

--------------------------------------------------
FLAGFOX VERSION: 4.1 alpha (missing IPDB!)

ERROR MESSAGE: Failed to init options window

EXCEPTION THROWN: Error: Actions not loaded!

STACK TRACE: Error("Actions not loaded!")@:0
()@resource://flagfox/flagfox.jsm:258
generateActionsEditList()@chrome://flagfox/content/options.xul:139
init()@chrome://flagfox/content/options.xul:84
onload([object Event])@chrome://flagfox/content/options.xul:1

BROWSER: Mozilla Firefox 3.6.12/20101026210630 (Gecko 1.9.2.12/20101026210630) using locale ru on WINNT x86-msvc
--------------------------------------------------

Select and copy the error report above. In order to fix this problem for you and others, please read and follow the troubleshooting and bug reporting instructions on the Flagfox support forums. Please post an abundance of information with any error reports, namely what you were doing at the time that may have triggered this. (English please)

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:40 am

RussiaFlag wrote:FLAGFOX VERSION: 4.1 alpha (missing IPDB!)

ERROR MESSAGE: Failed to init options window

EXCEPTION THROWN: Error: Actions not loaded!

STACK TRACE: Error("Actions not loaded!")@:0
()@resource://flagfox/flagfox.jsm:258
generateActionsEditList()@chrome://flagfox/content/options.xul:139
init()@chrome://flagfox/content/options.xul:84
onload([object Event])@chrome://flagfox/content/options.xul:1

BROWSER: Mozilla Firefox 3.6.12/20101026210630 (Gecko 1.9.2.12/20101026210630) using locale ru on WINNT x86-msvc
You're going to have to give me more to go on then that. Please at least tell me what Flagfox version this was with, as it seems the error dialog couldn't get that info for some reason. (check in Tools -> Add-ons -> Flagfox) I think you have 4.1a3, but I'm not sure. Your initial post said "null" but you edited it to change that to "4.1 alpha". If it's an alpha less than 3, update please. I assume you got this on opening the options dialog? How? Via the context menu or from the Add-ons Manager?

This looks like it could be an alternate manifestation of the Personas Plus 1.6 / Google Toolbar bug, or similar, i.e. an extension breaking the Extensions Manager backend. Please read this and post more information and check to see if it's caused by another addon.

dave_s

Post by dave_s » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:45 am

geotool.flagfox.net is down - well we know that, but 4.1a3 still tries to go there when you click the flag.

Minefield 4.0b8pre on ECS 1.15

Also, you say there will be a cookie to assist - Will this get re-created each session? I normally junk cookies at session end.

TIA

EDIT: Just for a test I added "74.220.215.245 geotool.flagfox.net " to my hosts file and then clicked the flag only to get a "There is no website configured at this address." message.

rleeden
Site Admin

Post by rleeden » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:01 pm

dave_s wrote:geotool.flagfox.net is down - well we know that, but 4.1a3 still tries to go there when you click the flag.
Upgrade to 4.1a4.

The URL geotool.flagfox.net is no longer in use, and the geotool website can now be found at http://geo.flagfox.net instead.
dave_s wrote: Also, you say there will be a cookie to assist - Will this get re-created each session? I normally junk cookies at session end.
Yes, the cookies are re-created each session, so you should be fine. They're set to expire after 10 minutes anyway.

dave_s

Post by dave_s » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks - the a4 drop works fine. Wonder how I missed it? Only found the add on a couple of days back.

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Flagfox 4.1 beta 1 is out now

Because people are largely unwilling to register on forums these days, I'm moving the primary feedback route for the Flagfox 4.1 development versions over to the new blog and closing this thread. You can of course still email me or post a new thread here if you want, but Flagfox 4.1b1 post comments are the new primary feedback route for now.

Also note that if you wish to comment about the removal of the old repositioning options, read this post before commenting and please keep any comments about it there.