flagfox disappears [RESOLVED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
taxcut321

flagfox disappears [RESOLVED]

Post by taxcut321 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:34 pm

this is a continuation of a discussion with dave g. I am using a beta program called "Force Field" from zonealarm.com. After disabling this program and re-installing flagfox I have had no problems with flagfox. You might want to download Force Field and see if you get same results. Good luck

Bob O
taxcut321

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: flagfox disappears

Post by DaveG » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:01 pm

No.

Don't use that crap. That's snake oil to protect idiots using Microsoft Internet Explorer. It looks to me like an over-hyped sandbox, and in that case, it did exactly what it's supposed to by not letting you install Flagfox permanently. All a sandbox does, is prevent users (or websites through crappy browsers... hint... hint... IE) from being able to permanently install anything, in a vain attempt to protect you from malware. The philosophy here is to just accept that you'll install viruses, spyware, and other garbage, but then just try to minimize their damage by containing them. You can do the same sort of thing with older, and might I add, freeware and more flexible tools like Sandboxie. ("Force Field" will cease to be free once out of beta) Oh, and might I add that Zone Alarm sucks these days. On Windows, I recommend Comodo as a good free software firewall.

Besides, you shouldn't need this stuff with Firefox. Better security is one of the main reasons to use Firefox in the first place. Just don't install bogus extensions and you'll be fine. Mozilla is infinitely better with security than Microsoft, and they don't leave highly abusable crap like ActiveX in Firefox like as in IE. Yeah, malware Firefox extensions are possible, but harder to do and less likely to spread.

And if you really want perfect security, well then don't use Windows... Yeah, you can hack it into relative sanity. (trust me, I've done it) But realistically it's not designed for security. Go with Linux, Unix, or if you like burning money for sport, MacOSX.

taxcut321

Re: flagfox disappears [RESOLVED]

Post by taxcut321 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:49 pm

Good work, Dave!

I dumped forcefield and will look into your security suggestions.
I know FF is much better security-wise(and every other wise) than IE but there are times when I have to switch to IE view via right click for compatibility
on a few pages.
Thanks again.