ERROR 403: Permission Denied :-( [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
catellie

ERROR 403: Permission Denied :-( [FIXED]

Post by catellie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:10 pm

OK, looks like I have overused this excellent service as whenever I try to access it from my home IP I get the error message in the subject. Does this mean I'm blocked forever or is this blocked removed after a while? (Yes, I had an automated script that transformed IP-addresses in my access log into rough lat/long position, but it has been disable for a while now. Sorry!)

rleeden
Site Admin

Re: ERROR 403: Permission Denied :-(

Post by rleeden » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:58 pm

Wow - 4 posts and a PM. You're obviously keen to get my attention....or are you trying to overuse this forum too ;)

I have unblocked your IP so you should be able to use Geotool again. And yes you had been blocked because of your automated script. If you are capable of writing a script to do this kind of thing, you really should look at doing it locally. Have a look at the Maxmind APIs for some pointers.

catellie

Post by catellie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:47 pm

rleeden wrote:Wow - 4 posts and a PM. You're obviously keen to get my attention....or are you trying to overuse this forum too ;)
Ah, the posts goot through after all? I kept getting "bad encoding" instead of a confirmation when I pressed submit (using standard Firefox in Ubuntu which I would assume is what you use yourselves?) That's why I send the PM in the end.

Please feel free to remove any dups (or even all of it.)
rleeden wrote: I have unblocked your IP so you should be able to use Geotool again.
Excellent!
rleeden wrote: And yes you had been blocked because of your automated script. If you are capable of writing a script to do this kind of thing, you really should look at doing it locally. Have a look at the Maxmind APIs for some pointers.
Thanks, will do. My script was pretty trivial really, curl with a few options piped to a well aimed grep and then a cut. A 2 min hack or so. I guess you might not even have noticed if I had cached my lookups (simple file grep) and added a random delay... ;-) I just assumed your excellent service gets so many lookups it wouldn't be noticed. I was seriously wrong.

Again, thanks and my humble apologies

catellie

Post by catellie » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:11 pm

In case anyone else reads this with a similar idea: Using the GeoLiteCity database required roughly as much scripting as my just mentioned hack.
Big wins: significantly quicker, doesn't tax the flagfox servers.
Slight drawback: needs to be updated once a month (simple crontab hack though), trivial installation.

Thanks for the pointer, Richard.