Proxy issues - good bye and R.I.P. [FIXED]

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
MrOuzo

Proxy issues - good bye and R.I.P. [FIXED]

Post by MrOuzo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:47 am

Hello,

thanks for the nice flagfox, but the new version dont work anymore. All time i used the flagfox behind the firm proxy and it works. Now it dont work anymore.

It was a nice time with flagfox but now i must deinstall it :oops: bye bye

MrOuzo

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: Proxy issues - good bye and R.I.P.

Post by DaveG » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:46 pm

Why bother to register here and make a post without actually posting any information so that I can fix your problem?... :roll:

For starters, what version are you using? Read the sticky about this. Versions up to 3.0.3 would make a DNS request and usually stall the GUI until the lookup was complete. (though, faster networks may not have noticed this) Version 3.0.4 detected proxies and stopped working in that instance, to stop the stalling. Versions 3.0.5, 3.0.6, & 3.0.7 could be set to work from behind a proxy by setting flagfox.allowdnslookup to true in about:config. (and Flagfox was now written to do an asynchronous DNS lookup, to not stall the GUI while waiting for a reply) Version 3.1+ now pops up a prompt which asks you what to do. If you don't have the current version, 3.1.0, then update.

If you're using 3.1, then please give me something to go on here. What happens when you browse to a site from behind a proxy? What's Flagfox's tooltip? Does the prompt show up? What happens after you make a selection, if it does ask you? If the prompt doesn't even show up (ever), then it's something to do with your computer or network and not Flagfox (or at least not Flagfox's proxy detection), because Flagfox only stops the DNS request if it detects the proxy and is told to stop. If you don't get the prompt, then Flagfox didn't detect the proxy, and as a result should just go on and make the request as usual.

Only other thing I can think of is the possibility that you're browsing to pages on ports other than the default (80) due to some other weird setup, which is known to cause issues in the current version. (fix will be released with 3.1.1 whenever the IP DB updates are ready)

Of course, I've sat down and written out this post with questions and such, though I don't really expect a reply based on the tone of your initial post... Hopefully you'll prove me wrong and we can fix this. :|

MrOuzo

Post by MrOuzo » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:33 pm

Hello,

sorry for the not writing any information. but after update it dont work, and i read here with proxy flagfox dont work anymore... so i was very frusted. I updated to version 3.1 and nothing was working. The firm proxy is going over port 8000, flagfox detects the proxy and the flag is disabled

Greets
Mrouzo

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:02 pm

Thank you for coming back to reply. We'll try our best to fix your problem.

Flagfox works fine with a proxy. The only version with with zero proxy support was 3.0.4. (before that it was problematic; after that it's optional) Read this for more information.

As per my questions in my previous post, most importantly, does the prompt come up and ask you what to do when it detects the proxy? If it does, what happens when you say yes? (what's Flagfox's tooltip?; is there an error message?; etc.) Is the URL in your address bar in the form of protocol://domain:port/path, or simply protocol://domain/path? (the former not working in 3.1, fixed for 3.1.1)

I've amended this forum's troubleshooting sticky. Please give number 4 a try if all else fails.

MrOuzo

Post by MrOuzo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:52 am

Hello,

today i installed the 3.1 completly new, without update

i opened the first page and flagfox asks about the proxy, i say yes to the local dns and it works. After 4-5 tests i set the checkbox for the same answer and now it works. Last week i have everytime a hint message "anonymus (unknown proxy)"

Thanks and i hope it works everytime, because this is a great work :-)
MrOuzo

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 pm

That's... weird. :|

Whatever, glad it works now.