Flagfox and Geotool differ. Both are wrong>

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
Autopage

Flagfox and Geotool differ. Both are wrong>

Post by Autopage » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:17 pm

http://www.edp24.co.uk Is hosted (according to their webmaster) by Global Crossing on servers in Holland. Flagfox shows a US flag, Geotool shows UK. If both use the same database why are they showing different results? Why are they both wrong?
There is a similar thread but it seems to have turned into a Troll problem and I have no intention of getting upset about this :P

rleeden
Site Admin

Re: Flagfox and Geotool differ. Both are wrong>

Post by rleeden » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Autopage wrote:http://www.edp24.co.uk Is hosted (according to their webmaster) by Global Crossing on servers in Holland. Flagfox shows a US flag, Geotool shows UK. If both use the same database why are they showing different results? Why are they both wrong?
There is a similar thread but it seems to have turned into a Troll problem and I have no intention of getting upset about this :P
Thank you for not intending to get upset about this ;)

Firstly, let me deal with the fact that Flagfox and Geotool show different results. This is rather an unusual occurrence but it can happen. Both the Firefox extension Flagfox and the website Geotool do use IP address location databases maintained by Maxmind, but they are not in fact the same database. Flagfox uses an IP to Country database, whereas Geotool which provides a greater level of detail uses a much larger IP to City database. You would think that both would show the same country for an IP address, but unfortunately on rare occasions they don't. But this is purely down to Maxmind.

And secondly, it's very unfortunate that neither of the two databases are in fact correct! As DaveG has pointed out in that other thread, these IP databases can never be perfect, and there isn't anything we can directly do about any specific errors. If you felt strongly about this you could consider contacting Maxmind as per the FAQ. Or you could just wait to see if any of the monthly updates that Maxmind provide mean that at least the two databases show the same answer - if maybe still not the correct one!