problems when using IE Tab

Any feedback, suggestion, bug reports, problems....
nyphis

problems when using IE Tab

Post by nyphis » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:18 pm

I just installed the 4.0 update of FlagFox.

For the first moment everything was okay - FlagFox was working as expected.

But on a second view I noticed that something was wrong.
For me Flagfox 4.0 affects JavaScript in Firefox 3.6 to not work properly (Popups do not open) and other addons to work not at all (Mouse Gestures Redox does not work anymore).

Deactivating FlagFox 4.0 cleared the problems I had and exerything was working fine again.

System:
Windows XP 64bit English
Firefox 3.6 German
FlagFox 4.0.0

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Re: problems when using IE Tab

Post by DaveG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:23 am

I tried Flagfox 4.0.0 + Mouse Gestures Redox 2.0.3 in Firefox 3.0 and it worked fine. Mouse Gestures Redox does not support Firefox 3.5 or 3.6 so if it doesn't work there you're going to need to contact them about that.

If you're having a problem with popups of some kind, then please post an example.

Flagfox doesn't touch anything that should be able to break something how you're describing. Please troubleshoot and post a lot more information so I have something to go in here to investigate. If you just think your issues are caused by Flagfox 4.0 because you happened to update recently, please actually try disabling Flagfox to see if that's true. Also disable all your other addons and enable just Flagfox to see if it's the actual cause. Just because you updated recently does not necessarily mean that's in any way related to your issues, as it could easily be just a conincidence

nyphis

Post by nyphis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 am

Hmmm ... after checking another PC with Firefox 3.6 and FlagFox 4.0 and a little more try and error I got the problem.

FlagFox 4.0 seems to conflict with Coral IE Tab.
When I deactivate Coral IE Tab FlagFox and Firefox (including Mouse Gesures) work fine.

btw: there is a Mouse Gesures Redox working in Firefox 3.6 from the official homepage

DaveG
Flagfox Developer

Post by DaveG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:15 am

As to the popups issue, I just tried the first example with this page (which was the subject of another thread here). With just Coral IE Tab 1.63.20081024 enabled, in a new profile in Firefox 3.6 under Windows XP SP3, I get a popup normally and a new blank tab when using IE rendering. The popup issue seems to be squarely on IE Tab.

As to the Mouse Gestures issue, I just tried Coral IE Tab 1.63.20081024 + Mouse Gestures Redox 3.0.2. (thanks for pointing out the Firefox 3.6 compatible version; I didn't see that) Attempting to do a gesture on the content of a page using Firefox rendering worked fine, but after switching to IE rendering no gestures work. This issue seems to be an IE Tab / Mouse Gestures Redox conflict.

Both of these tests are reproducible without Flagfox enabled/installed, so there doesn't seem to be a conflict with Flagfox here in any way that I can find.

You could consider contacting the developers of Coral IE Tab on its forums about the popups issue, as they probably should be able to handle that.

The later issue, however, is probably to be expected. Mouse Gestures is listening to things in Firefox's content area, and if that area is instead replaced by an embedded IE content area then I'm not too surprised it doesn't work there. You must remember, IE Tab is not an emulator; it is IE. IE has the ability to be embedded inside frames in other programs, and the IE Tab extension is an intermediary to do that and pass along control from Firefox. You could try contacting the developers of Mouse Gestures Redox about this, but they may just tell you such a thing isn't supported.

As to the interaction between IE Tab and Flagfox, yes, the flag doesn't show when using IE rendering. This has always been the case and I don't expect it to change any time soon. Firefox isn't really at the page when you use IE Tab. IE is the one actually doing things. Firefox is really at a hidden page that is part of IE Tab and Flagfox no longer has normal access to the info it needs. Flagfox just shows the puzzle piece icon when using IE rendering because that's the icon to indicate you're at an extension or other internal URL page, which IE Tab is. This is the intended behavior for the time being. It's generally recommended to avoid using IE Tab as much as possible anyway. It's even less necessary these days.

Thanks for reporting this. I'm glad we could track down what's going on here.

rleeden
Site Admin

Post by rleeden » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:06 pm

DaveG wrote:As to the popups issue, I just tried the first example with this page (which was the subject of another thread here). With just Coral IE Tab 1.63.20081024 enabled, in a new profile in Firefox 3.6 under Windows XP SP3, I get a popup normally and a new blank tab when using IE rendering. The popup issue seems to be squarely on IE Tab.
It looks as if the Coral IE tab developer is already aware of an issue with popups. In fact he strongly recommends installing Version 1.80.20100224 which is pending review. One of the bug fixes listed for this version is: "[BUG FIX] In some situations popup window will not work properly. See bug #22379."